Featured Moroccan Kohl Bottle?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Marote, May 4, 2024.

1. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

Bought today
    image6.jpeg image2.jpeg image4.jpeg image5.jpeg image1.jpeg image3.jpeg image0.jpeg
    When I bought it, I thought it was a scent bottle, but based on Google Lens results, it seems to be a Moroccan kohl bottle, like this one
    https://tierradellagarto.com/collections/boxes-and-trays/products/camel-bone-eyeliner-bottle
    Is this indeed a kohl bottle?
    The one from the link says it's a replica. Mine as well? And would that me a modern replica (not clear with the one from the link), or a vintage replica (as some others are put up for sale)?

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

1:45 am here. Normal people are already sleeping at this time of night, so I guess I will have to wait until the morning for her answer. :)

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

for normal people.....you're on the wrong site !!:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

5. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

3am now ... this abnormal guy's going to bed! :yawn:

wlwhittier, kyratango and komokwa like this.
  6. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Hear Ye!
    'Normal' is a vicious myth!

Marote, laura9797 and kyratango like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I am far from normal, but I was asleep when you posted this.:yawn::playful:

Yes, it is a Moroccan kohl bottle. This type is not traditional as such, but all the elements are traditional. If that makes sense.:wacky:
    The flat finial of the applicator is typical of Moroccan kohl bottles, although not all bottles have them. Moroccan flat finials are usually shaped like a flame or a lozenge.
    When more tourists came to Morocco, more traditional items were given a 'Moroccan look' to be sold as souvenirs. The 'Moroccan look' often involved bone panelling. Your bottle is an example of that.
    Neither the one in the link nor yours are replicas. Both are a continuation of a tradition, but in a slightly different style than antique ones. Both are also mainly made for tourists or export.
    Some are actually used. Sometimes you find black powder inside or blackening around inside the neck or on the applicator.

Last edited: May 5, 2024
    kyratango, Marote, komokwa and 5 others like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

I also have Moroccan bone and metal kohl bottle in my collection, it was too pretty to pass.;)

DSC01757 kopie.JPG DSC01758 kopie.JPG

The decoration on the metal is known as the "Rose of Mogador". Mogador is the old Portuguese(!) name of the coastal town of Essaouira, an important cultural centre in Morocco. So my guess is that these bottles were made in Essaouira.

Last edited: May 5, 2024
  9. komokwa

it's so elegant !!

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  10. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

:borg:

11. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

Yours is indeed amazing!

12. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

Any idea how old mine could be?

There are some black specks on mine, but I'm not sure if that is indeed powder or just dirt.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  13. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

Green and brown/amber/dark gold stuff in mine
    IMG_5046.jpg

14. Any Jewelry

I am so glad you checked, Marote, because what you found is a perfect example of what happens when someone puts perfume in a kohl bottle.:facepalm:
    A former owner must have used it as a perfume bottle. This happened decades ago, but over a period of years.
    I have talked about this kind of effect with @bercrystal , she'll be interested in this too.;)

Bottles like this were glued. The amber/gold/brown stuff is a coagulated mixture of glue that was dissolved in perfume (alcohol etc).
    The green stuff is verdigris together with the dissolved glue-perfume mixture. The verdigris is the result of liquids kept in a copper alloy for a long time. The silvertone metal on both our bottles is a copper alloy.

I'd hate to think what could have happened to the former owner's skin.:nurse: She probably stopped using it when the perfume came out looking drab and didn't smell right anymore. But the process had been going on for a long time before she stopped.

Unfortunately both kohl bottles and snuff bottles are often misused like this. It damages the bottles (inside painted snuff bottles!:nailbiting:), and can cause an allergic reaction to the skin.
    So thank you for showing us the gunk, Marote, this is like a teaching tool.;):)

Last edited: May 6, 2024
    Figtree3, komokwa, bercrystal and 2 others like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Thanks guys.:happy:
    Most of my kohl bottles are antique or close to it, but if a recent bottle is beautiful or interesting, I'll give it a home too. This beauty is one of my most elegant bottles.
    I think yours is 1960s, when many Dutch and other European young folk went to Morocco. As my previous post shows, it was used for quite some time, after which the dissolved glue had time to reach a solid state again in spite of the bottle being closed.
    I am glad it survived its ordeal, and if it feels strong and solid, there won't be any problems in future.

komokwa, bercrystal and Marote like this.
  16. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

upload_2024-5-6_15-34-3.png

komokwa, bercrystal and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. komokwa

u got that right !!!!;):joyful:

Marote likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted