Featured Looking for age on glass bowl (uranium glass)

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Andrew85, May 5, 2024.

1. Andrew85

Andrew85 New Member

Hello there, bought this in an antique shop in Suffolk England. Was a proper antique shop with lots of real (but expensive) antiques. I’m really just looking to find out the age of this piece, posted in another forum but didn’t get any info on possible date. Any other info would be appreciated though. The owner said he thought it was about 1870s and possibly uranium glass (don’t have a black light). Pictures below, can take more if needed. I’d love it to be pre 19th century but I really don’t know, the guy in the shop knows antiques and almost 99% of stuff in the shop were antiques. Just not sure about this though I really liked it regardless. thank you!

Also on I side note I’ve used this forum before but forgot my username from years ago. always had really good feedback from people here in the past. A really great antique forum

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2024
  2. glassluv

glassluv New Member

Looks like uranium. Pretty. I'd give it to the late 19th early 20th.

johnnycb09 and kyratango like this.
  3. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Take it out into strong sunlight, if uranium glass you will see a glow. It won't be as obvious as with a black light, but you will see something especially in areas where the glass is thickest.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'm with late 19th on it.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  5. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

I picked up a mini UV flashlight from eBay for a couple of pound. It fits in my pocket and is so handy if I remember to take it out with me.

Draft saved Draft deleted