Featured Large Openwork Conchos? an' Matching Buckle with Turquoise

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by wlwhittier, May 4, 2024.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

There are 9 with copper-strap belt-loops, an' a matching buckle. Each are 3" long, 2 5/8" wide; their weight varies slightly between 1.6 an' 1.8 ozt. I'm not skilled enough to say whether they're sand-cast or not. The copper belt loops are ~1/4" wide, to accommodate a ~2" x ~1/8" leather strap.
    Each have unique turquoise nuggets in bezels, an' judging by color an' inclusions, from several mines; the two shown seem to be from the same mine. None of these have any markings at all. I haven't had them tested for alloy; I believe they are silver, but whether .720, .800, or .925 will have to be determined subsequently.

Every definition an' pic of 'concho' I've found ignores open-work like these, so I would like to know what these may the called, if not conchos. In addition, the theme of the four faces, an' arms with fingers, may have tribal or other significance; can any of you say what it means, an'/or what region or tribe might be responsible? I'm, as always, most grateful for all your comments an' suggestions. Thanks for lookin!

P1410208.jpeg P1410209.jpeg P1410210.jpeg P1410211.jpeg P1410212.jpeg P1410213.jpeg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

wow...never seen anything like it that's Native American..

johnnycb09 and wlwhittier like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Buckle and belt slides.;)
    Concha means shell, so by definition conchas or conchos aren't openwork.

wlwhittier likes this.
  4. wlwhittier

Thanks...do they appear at all familiar to you, AJ?

I can't imagine these were made very far from available turquoise...so SW U.S., or how about Mexican?

5. wlwhittier

stracci and Houseful like this.
  6. wlwhittier

This, from Wikipedia:
    Yei bichei (Yébîchai), or "maternal grandfather of the yei", is another name of Talking God who often speaks on behalf of the other Holy People. (He, along with Growling God, Black God, and Water Sprinkler, were the first four Holy People encountered by the Navajo.) He is invoked (along with eight other male yei) in the "Night Chant" or "Nightway" (Navajo: Tłʼééʼjí or Kléjê Hatál), sometimes simply called "Yei bichei," a nine-night ceremony in which masked dancers personify the gods.

stracci likes this.
  7. komokwa

Well, now I've seen others...and have bigger doubts ....
    the Cisco.....a poorly....unconventionally set stone , which is mine identified ??? , and asking 550...

the Nativo..... eight pieces....extremely rare.... 5 grand......discounted to just over 1 grand ???? .... with suspected mine origins......???
    Why the give a way ????

those yet bi chei.........could be anything...imo...

wlwhittier likes this.
  8. wlwhittier

I'll agree; the 2 links are each a little weird...an' when compared to each other even more so...lotsa questions there.
    However I think the Navajo attribution, especially along with Yei bi chei (Yébîchai) as the four-figure motif...all of that is good progress, for me anyway.
    Now to get down to the casting method...which I'm now leaning against being sand-cast...an' the turquoise-mine specifics, at least as far as pics of all the settings may be helpful.
    When (if) the sun ever comes out again before the snow flies, I'll do my duty, shoot each of the nine, an' give y'all a look.

Potteryplease and komokwa like this.
  9. komokwa

Tufa cast ??

wlwhittier likes this.
  10. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

wlwhittier and komokwa like this.
  11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Once again, I could be wrong, but 7th image down, the area where I've marked green looks like there's some writing within........Some looks like it could say partial- "JAK or H and maybe an N"............???

P1410212.jpg

wlwhittier likes this.
  12. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

"Yei" refers to the Holy People. "Yeibichai" refers to human dancers who impersonate the Yei in ceremonies.

You can see an example of the different forms of representation here, on rugs -
    https://www.navajorug.com/pages/navajo-yei-holy-people

The figures on your belt pieces appear to be Yei (if actually Navajo).

wlwhittier likes this.
  13. wlwhittier

Nope...looked with good light an' a loupe; no joy. Thanks, tho'!

Aquitaine and komokwa like this.
  14. wlwhittier

Here are the full set, still in zipper-bags. Several of them show less-than-optimum attention to the orientation of the copper loops, so the belt would be straight through the long axis. Note also the (apparent) various turquoise sources.

P1410266.jpeg P1410267.jpeg P1410268.jpeg P1410269.jpeg

komokwa and Potteryplease like this.
  15. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Aquitaine, komokwa and wlwhittier like this.
  16. wlwhittier

What a precious site...Thank you, Holly!

17. komokwa

nice that you have a belt full !!!

Aquitaine and wlwhittier like this.
  18. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

I believe these were sand cast.
    The turquoise looks like high grade Chinese.
    It's very nice!!!

wlwhittier and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted