Featured I also did brooches last weekend.

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Ownedbybear, May 18, 2024.

1. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The carnelian has Italian 14K hallmarks. The one sans pin is unmarked, but I suspect gold. The other one is odd.

P1270750.JPG P1270752.JPG P1270753.JPG P1270751.JPG P1270754.JPG P1270755.JPG P1270738.JPG P1270739.JPG

mirana, RachelW, Dessert58 and 11 others like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Delicious ! Now Ive been getting the itch to collect brooches again,wich really makes me ill that I sold all the ones I had ! I will say this,brooches like this rarely make it onto the floor. Just the brand new made in China crap,usually missing stones !

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The enameled Victorian one looks like gold-filled brass, what's left of the poor thing.

Chinoiserie, pearlsnblume and KSW like this.
  4. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Very, very, VERY nice!!!
    And your photos.... Splendid!:woot:

5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

That agate is nice and the grapes brooch looks like it was made by a ‘someone’ it’s too nice to be unknown!

6. Satin In A Coffin

Satin In A Coffin Well-Known Member

I'm really into brooches lately too. I've found some nice ones the last couple years. Alas only costume and the occasional sterling.

Chinoiserie and johnnycb09 like this.
  7. 808 raver

808 raver Well-Known Member

The agate one maybe Scottish?

Chinoiserie and johnnycb09 like this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

No maybe about it.

9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@Ownedbybear, on the Lower Left of your 5th image down, where I've outlined, it appears to have some writing?????

POSS DATE-MARK.jpg

Chinoiserie likes this.
  10. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

The stone one is a piece of lapidary genius. Perfect interfaces between the pieces.

11. Satin In A Coffin

Satin In A Coffin Well-Known Member

The more I look at the first one, does it seem the flower may have been a later edition? Looks like it was slapped right on top of an existing ring of citrine stones? But I don't know that much about how these things are supposed to be constructed so don't mind me.

12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I think that topaz looking one may well be some kind of marriage. I think it was a much older belt buckle to start with. Although whoever did it, took care, the petals align beautifully.

Kate, the carnelian would make fools out of those on Facebook who are adamant that semi precious stones aren’t ever used in gold, wouldn’t it! Someone crafted the stones, too, the little ones are slightly faceted.

Scottish hardstone indeed, made popular by queen Victoria who reinvented Scotland and tartans. Much of the jewellery wasn’t made there though, but in Birmingham which was an absolute power house in the nineteenth and most of the twentieth. The slices were mined and cut in Scotland though, much around Aberdeen.

The brooch with the missing pin is interesting. It’s in better condition from front than back and I need to clean the back. I don’t think it’s gold filled per se, I think it’s gold fronted.

My trusty LUMIX does me well!

kyratango likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted