Featured Zuni Cluster Cuff - To repair or not

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KikoBlueEyes, Nov 14, 2023.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I picked this up cheap, because it is missing a stone. I think it is an older Zuni, because of the details - little balls, twisted wire, color of the turquoise etc. Unfortunately, someone who owned it etched their name and address into the back obliterating any mark except a partial number starting with 8. This person is Elena Kanes PO Box 545 Zuni, NMex. It won't be cheap to repair, so I'm looking to confirm my thinking that it might be worth the repair. I know of a local place for repair but I've never taken anything there, but perhaps @reader knows someone who might do a good job too.

Also, I picked up another unmarked piece (except sterling) that is seems to have Native American sides of the expansion watch band. The watch does not seem to be anything special - an Advance watch with a stainless steel back and quartz movement. Any comments on this?

IMG_4222.JPG IMG_4230 (1).JPG IMG_4229.JPG IMG_4231 (1).JPG IMG_4224.JPG IMG_4226.JPG IMG_4233 (1).JPG IMG_4234 (1).JPG IMG_4232 (1).JPG IMG_4235 (1).JPG

IvaPan, johnnycb09, stracci and 3 others like this.
  2. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

It's gorgeous! Lucky you! I've been wanting a Zuni bracelet like that for a long time!

Well worth fixing, if you ask me.
    For repairs, you could try contacting Perry Null Trading in Gallup NM.
    I have heard they do great repair work.

IvaPan, Bronwen, Aquitaine and 4 others like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful cluster cuff, Kiko. It certainly is worth having it repaired.
    You could do it yourself, if you can find the right colour turquoise. But if you're not used to that, by all means let a professional do it.
    Newer pieces can also be detailed. The stones are colour matched, so it is probably late 70s at the earliest.
    You often buy the watch tips and add your own choice of watch, which is what happened here. Nice tips, nice stones.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2023
    IvaPan, Bronwen, KikoBlueEyes and 4 others like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I bought watch tips, yes, and added my own watch.

IvaPan, Bronwen, KikoBlueEyes and 2 others like this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

Perfect. Thank you very much. I know the feeling, though, of someone getting something here that you would give your left hand for and the other person being more nonchalant about something you would treasure. I'll contact the Perry Null Trading right away. Thank you.

6. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you for looking at this. No way would I be able to repair this, but I appreciate your acknowledging it is the real thing.

Thanks for the dates. You know I always like to have this information. I appreciate the tips on what to look for too.

I agree the stone are particularly nice. Thanks for the information about adding a new watch. I will sell this watch, because I have a jewelry quality apple watch I just bought that is gold tone and has a fancy watch band. I would have no use for this. I just snatched it up to find out about it.

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

OBB Thank you for this assurance. The watch attached may work, they don't supply batteries to try it out, but it doesn't match in any way to the work.

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. reader

reader Well-Known Member

It’s a beauty. Agree Zuni and some age. I have one I wear all the time. Love those clusters. I woukd definitely get it repaired professionally.

Funny that Stracci suggested Perry Null. I have a piece in there now. Supposed to get it in 2 weeks. Will report back.

Happy Thanksgiving to the US peeps…

Nothing to add on the watch. Navajo of some age.

9. KikoBlueEyes

Most appreciated. I sent it to Perry Null right away based on @stracci recommendation. I hope they can color match the turquoise. I won't wear it, so I am going to sell it. I was just interested at first in rescuing it. They usually throw damaged pieces in the trash. Once I realized what it was, I had to get it repaired and find a good home for it.

Thanks for the info on the watch ends. They will go to someone else too, as I have a new apple watch with a fancy band in a gold tone. I have to clean it up first.

Happy Thanksgiving to you too.

reader, Any Jewelry, mirana and 2 others like this.
  10. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

I'm sure they'll do a great restoration on it. I hope you'll post a photo when you get it back!

11. KikoBlueEyes

Will do. I have high hopes. I sent them this too. I found it on the sidewalk with a smashed bale and one cracked piece of turquoise.

IMG_4250.JPG IMG_4251 (2).JPG

Bronwen, stracci, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  12. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

The name on the Zuni piece looks like Kanesta not Kanes and could be the maker, lots of
    Kanestra silversmiths out there. It’s not uncommon for NA jewelry to be marked this way. Even if it isn’t the maker it does not detract from the value but adds it as provenance.

Lucille.b, mirana, reader and 4 others like this.
  13. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you so much for this!!!!!!!!! I was going to have them erase this etching, as I thought it would detract. You are such a wealth of knowledge. Thank you.

Draft saved Draft deleted