Featured Zuni (?) bowl w/ hole???

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Potteryplease, Jul 20, 2024.

1. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

Well, this piece is weird. The shape and the geometric designs look authentic to me...

But I've never seen deer kinda turned in profile like that...

And the hole in the bottom--- say what?

It's 7" wide, about 3" high, and seems to be one of those pieces that someone painted w shellac.

Thank you for any opinions and ideas about what's going on here.

IMG_0489.jpeg IMG_0490.jpeg IMG_0491.jpeg IMG_0492.jpeg IMG_0493.jpeg IMG_0494.jpeg IMG_0495.jpeg

Boland, Any Jewelry, stracci and 5 others like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

a funnel of some sort?

3. Potteryplease

4. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

It's almost too pretty for this but maybe a succulent bowl.

Potteryplease likes this.
  5. Potteryplease

Interesting. Thanks for the idea. It definitely seems utilitarian. The bowl doesn't 'sit' perfectly evenly though...

Pueblo potters made lamp bases in the 50's and 60's, as they seemed to sell to tourists, but it's hard to think that there could be a pottery lamp shade.

Additionally, on historical Southwest bowls and pots there was sometimes a 'kill hole' where the pot had been deliberately destroyed by smashing a small hole in the bottom, perhaps in a ceremonial way. The hole on mine, though, is too clean and intentional to be that, so I'll keep searching for other ideas.

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Don't know it's purpose, but looks like there "could" be some writing in that left deer's body?????

IMG_0493.jpeg

7. Potteryplease

You're such a sharp eye!

On the back of the deer, there's something caught in the shellac (or whatever it is).

IMG_0498.jpeg

And on the front, it looks like two slightly different colors of brown.

IMG_0499.jpeg

Aquitaine likes this.
  8. komokwa

that's a hair from the paint brush..........:wacky::wacky:

or a pube..

9. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Possible chance for some DNA on your piece Pott-verrry interesting,could lead to the purbertrator ?

10. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

They are unusual deer. I wonder if the potter was inspired by some version of Landseer's "Monarch of the Glen". It was a very popular image throughout the 19th century, including being used by the Hartford Insurance Company.

upload_2024-7-21_10-4-51.png

Bakersgma and Potteryplease like this.
  11. Potteryplease

Interesting. Thanks for the idea. Most deer I've seen on Zuni pots are a straight-side profile, though I've also seen some online where the animal is looking backwards. These ones on this pot seem so... so 'graphic art' -ish that they're unusual. It seems likely that they were based on something else.

And the hole in the middle.... ????

2manybooks likes this.
  12. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

The three-quarters view of the deer are not classically NA pictographic-that's European influenced perspective.The shellac patina seems like a late 19th nineteenth to early-twentieth century preservation technique.The hole in the bowl could be a custom-made feature.
    It's a cool piece.

13. Potteryplease

Thanks @bosko69. I tend to agree with your comments here.

14. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I don't have any good ideas about the hole. The whole piece seems small for a lamp shade. And why paint inside and outside if it was designed to be a shade? There is wear only on the exterior surface of the hole, not the interior surface or the inside edge. So it seems to have sat on the exterior surface, like a regular bowl.

Clearly, someone was interested in experimenting, and it may not have been entirely well thought out.

15. komokwa

it's really special !

16. Potteryplease

Thanks everybody!

komokwa likes this.
  17. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

My best guess is that it is a funnel. However, know of no precedence for one among Pueblo potters, nor do I find any with a quick search. Would think that if it was a lid or shade of some kind, it would not be decorated both sides. May well be one of a kind for personal use.

Draft saved Draft deleted