Zuni bird id - not an owl

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Jeff Drum, Apr 6, 2022.

1. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

This generally looks like the birds done by Nelli Bica, but as far as I can tell she did only owls. And this does not look like an owl (different eyes and beak). Can anyone ID the type of bird, or know of similar Zuni birds of whatever species this is? Or perhaps know the history of Zuni pottery birds - assuming decorative only? This one seems to have enough age to be mid-century or earlier.
    P3303632.JPG P3303640.JPG P3303633.JPG P3303638.JPG P3303639.JPG P3303642.JPG P3303635.JPG P3303636.JPG P3303641.JPG

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

partridge? (or grouse - not sure of the difference)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
    all_fakes and Jeff Drum like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

they taste different !!:hungry:

moreotherstuff likes this.
  4. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

I agree it looks old, but is there anything clearly indicates that it's Zuni pottery? Might it be Mexican? It looks more like a parrot beak. On pieces with three 'legs' to stand on, one is usually the tail feathers. Yours seems to have three legs.

George Chaney likes this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

maybe it's a boy bird....;):rolleyes:

6. Potteryplease

I was careful not to indirectly hint at that...

moreotherstuff and komokwa like this.
  7. Jeff Drum

Anything is possible, but I see no history of Mexican pottery like this. And this looks to have some authentic age, so not a recent Mexican production fake (if they are even faking Zuni pottery; I don't know).

Below are some pics of Zuni owls from Cowans auction. They also have some other birds, turkey, chicken and rooster but they look less like the one I showed at the top than the owls do.

cowan1.jpg cowan2.jpg

8. Jeff Drum

I looked for birds that overlapped the Zuni reservation area, and found two that might be possible. A prairie falcon, and a greater roadrunner. Maybe?

(great, so we can't display png files? I'll look for alternatives)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2022
    Potteryplease and komokwa like this.
  9. Potteryplease

There's owls and turkeys and other such birds from Acoma too, and the color scheme on yours is close to those ones too.

Jeff Drum likes this.
  10. Jeff Drum

That’s a good thought. I hadn’t noticed Acoma birds, but some are similar to this. Located not very far to the east, also in New Mexico. Colors may be whiter in the Acoma work, but I think it would take someone familiar with both tribal potteries to distinguish. Thanks!

Potteryplease likes this.
  11. Potteryplease

And I meant to add that if yours is a parrot, parrots are a very common motif painted on Acoma pottery.

Draft saved Draft deleted