Zachary Crofton, 1661 Reformation not Separation

Discussion in 'Books' started by Bev aka thelmasstuff, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Can only find this on a website that has a transcription of old English books. Not in the best shape. Water and what looks like smoke damage. Brittle. My son picked it up at a yard sale from the estate of an antiquarian book collector. It was in an unheated "junk" room with a lot of random books and not being cared for. The guy had hundreds, if not thousands, of books.

2014-11-28 12.33.25 (600x800).jpg 2014-11-28 12.33.35 (600x800).jpg

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  2. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

sigh . . . We need finebooks.

3. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Looks like a bit of relic to me. Despite the age I'd say the condition and subject would prevent any more than a minimal value. In the low tens of dollars possibly.

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

"In and from the Tower of London" Gee... he must have been a guest of Charley 2.

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  5. Bev aka thelmasstuff

We haven't been able to actually find one for sale anywhere. I'm tempted to make a short visit to the OTHER place, but no guarantee the right person will see it and answer.

6. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

The other place's booksellers....group might work IF Fine is still there.

7. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

I know a bunch of them went off to another place, but danged if I remember what it's called.

8. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I posted over there just in case.

9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

That board is becoming a little more active recently. Fine has not been there lately but the squirrel made an appearance earlier this month. The other site of which Messilane spoke has been less active recently.

Bev, I just looked over there and you have one reply already.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  10. Bev aka thelmasstuff

And a decent one, too. I thanked him for his polite and thoughtful answer. Now it's up to my son to decide what he wants to do. He's getting more like me every day, so I predict the book will go back into the glass fronted bookcase for the next 50 years at least. !

11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Bev, don't know if you are still checking over there, but you got more replies.

12. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Thanks. I've been really busy. In addition to the real job, Mrs. Claus has a lot of events on her calendar this month. :)

13. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Well, it started a bit of a debate between two of the regulars. That's the type of thing that always seems to happen on the Booksellers Board. One reason I was reluctant to post there. And one of them obviously didn't read my name because he kept calling me "that guy."

14. afantiques

If it is a value you are looking for, in that condition I'd not think more than $50. That's in the UK anyway, the US market might be keener on sheer old without regard to condition, but I suspect not all that much.

You may not have have seen the thread I posted here about a similar date book, well preserved in original binding, and that got an offer of about the equivalent of $80 from a Hay on Wye bookseller.

15. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Hay on Wye. I love English town names. Ours are so prosaic. We stayed outside of Wigan, once, in Up Holland. The town on the other side was Ince-in-Makerfield. Lovely. But, I digress. Thanks for the info. :)

16. afantiques

The run of the mill suburb where I live was named more than 1000 years ago, it appears in the Domesday book, and apparently 1,000 years ago the Danes were heavily defeated here in a battle here with Alfred's son, Edward.

You'd not know it to look at it.

17. Bev aka thelmasstuff

My town, Orleans, is the only one on the Cape not named after an English town or retaining a Wampanoag name. Isaac Snow, a local resident, was captured by the British during the Revolution and sent to a Spanish prison. The Duc d'Orleans helped him escape and paid for his passage home. He renamed part of Eastham in honor of the Duke.

18. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

Speaking of towns and their names, here are some excerpts of mine,Littlerock,Ca. :p

Nestled among the rolling foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains, in the northern part of Los Angeles County just an hours drive from the bustling metropolis of Los Angeles, is the small agricultural community of Littlerock.

Graced by four seasons, with snow in the winter, 100 degree heat in the summer, the beauty of blossoms and ripening fruit in the spring, and the changing color of leaves in the orchards in the fall, all accentuated with the year-round majesty of the native Joshua trees, Littlerock is truly a place of natural splendor.

The territory was occupied by peaceful tribes of Piute and Runner Indians until the mid 1860's when the first settler moved in, bringing a flock of sheep and building an adobe home along the creek. When he was killed in 1886 by a grizzly bear, his place became a refuge for bandits.

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted