Featured Yesterday's finds - Signed/#'d PETER MAX(!) + Unusual tall 21" carved wood pitcher(?) stein(?)

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Feb 2, 2023.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Yesterday was 1/2 price day at the local thrift store I go to mon - fri. & I was first in line for a Peter Max that had been there all week with a price of $499 - and I bought it for $250; won't be a lot of profit but I love Peter Max!

The 2nd find is an unusual carved wood pitcher(?) or stein(?) with an unusual pointed top. Has anyone seen one of these before? (I found 1 similar but it was in a museum and done by burning - which it looks like around the edge of the top on mine too.
    Is it old? Is the portrait anyone known or just a decoration?

Thanks & enjoy my Peter Max!

ART PRINT PETER MAX WOMAN ON COUCH GREEN 1BAAABBB.jpg ART PRINT PETER MAX WOMAN ON COUCH GREEN 2AA RECOLORED.jpg ART PRINT PETER MAX WOMAN ON COUCH GREEN 3AAB.jpg ART PRINT PETER MAX WOMAN ON COUCH GREEN 4AAD.jpg ART PRINT PETER MAX WOMAN ON COUCH GREEN 8CAAC.jpg ART PRINT PETER MAX WOMAN ON COUCH GREEN 8AA.jpg WOOD PITCHER ENGRAVED 1AA.jpg WOOD PITCHER ENGRAVED 2AA.jpg WOOD PITCHER ENGRAVED 3AA.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
    Figtree3, elarnia, cxgirl and 3 others like this.
  2. journeymagazine

The rest of pitcher/stein
    The man is toasting something/someone. There is a crest under him - to put someone's name or initials? Also it looks like griffins on either side of the crest - do they help tell where it's from?
    Finally, is it wood or bamboo?
    Thank you!

WOOD PITCHER ENGRAVED 3AAA.jpg WOOD PITCHER ENGRAVED 4AA.jpg WOOD PITCHER ENGRAVED 4AAA.jpg WOOD PITCHER ENGRAVED 8AA.jpg

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

4. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I believe the style of art on the stein is Pyrography...............

5. journeymagazine

Figtree3, moreotherstuff and judy like this.
  6. journeymagazine

Thought maybe but one in museum has much more obvious burning/charring?

Figtree3 and pearlsnblume like this.
  7. judy

judy Well-Known Member

8. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

I love the wooden stein. It's got some pretty nice art on it! I haven't seen one before either.

Your Max print has an acid burned mat on it, and cardboard. If you're keeping this, you should switch those out to protect it from more acid damage.

Figtree3, NewEngland and johnnycb09 like this.
  9. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Hoot, mon! Sell, Sell, SELL!

Draft saved Draft deleted