Featured Wyvern wine glasses

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Brian Warshaw, Oct 30, 2023.

1. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

I picked up three wine glasses that are really nice. I have no information about them; but think they might be from the mid to end of the 19th century.
    GGG.jpg

AAA.jpg
    They are made from lead glass, based on a resonating 'ping'. Each has a slightly different tone that undoubted matches the marginal differences in weights.

The bowls have wryvern ridges the full length of the outside, and three-quarters the way down the inside, where it fades away to plain glass. I haven't handled a wryvern decorated glass before, so I do not know if this is what to expect of a mouth-blown glass. Please educate me.

Bowl shape is ovoid and sits on a stem that has three annular knops.

The pontil mark is a polished concave button, however with the aid of a loop, and looking deeper into the mark, there are concentric rings with a nipple in the middle of the circle.

Shallow conical foot. There are striation rings on the feet, and, I think a couple of small marks (scratches) on two of them.
    BBB.jpg

CCC.jpg

DDD.jpg

EEE.jpg

FFF.jpg

HHH.jpg
    The glasses were purchase in France.

Details:

Total height: 12.3 cm

Diameter of bowl: 6.5 cm

Depth of bowl: 6.5 cm

Diameter of foot: 5.9 cm

Weight: 131 g; 138 g; 142 g

Capacity: 75 ml

I have just taken some extra photographs from the top and bottom. Penultimate) Through the bottom, and it shows a scar left of centre. Ultimate) Through the polished bottom, shows the glass scar on the left, and to the right the double ring with the nipple in the middle [quite faint].

I hope these two photographs provides evidence that it was mouth-blown. On the two elements, double wrythen ridges, and ovoid bowl, date back to 1760.
    III.jpg

MMM.jpg

Let me have your thoughts; thanks.

bercrystal, Any Jewelry and sabre123 like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I see "wyvern," "wryrhern" & "wrythen." I'm not a glassie. Please educate me. I'm about to fall through the looking glass.

3. Brian Warshaw

I think the most common spelling is wrythen. But who cares how we spell a word, so long as it is understood by the receiver.

Bronwen likes this.
  4. Bronwen

That's just it, I wasn't understanding. If the swirl is what's meant, I propose "writhing."

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. Bronwen

It also matters to future searches of the site. Use of standard terminology helps this.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. Brian Warshaw

Writhing like a sine wave? Wryrhern doesn't exist according to Google, and Wyvern, aptly, commonly spelled wiven, is a mythical dragon with two legs, two wings, and often a pointed tail. Talk bout confusing.

Bronwen likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

To confuse matters, I thought they must have been made in Wyvern, which is a fictional county in a few BBC series.:joyful:

Figtree3, Bronwen and Brian Warshaw like this.
  8. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

They look pink in some of the photos and clear in others. What color are they?

Bronwen and Brian Warshaw like this.
  9. Brian Warshaw

Clear, transparent. Not sure where the pink comes from.

10. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

11. Brian Warshaw

Thank you Tallcakes, a great piece of work. Whether they are for water or wine, height either 4.75" for water, and 5.5" for wine is debateable; mine are 5". Also mine are not marked.

I have some Waterford glasses, most are unmarked, while a later one purchased as a replacement is engraved to prevent faking.

Thanks again, I shall now try to find somebody with Worthpoint membership to obtain a price for me.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted