Featured WWII Love Letters To Helene

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Marko, Jan 30, 2024.

1. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I found a basket of WWII love letters in an antique mall, and I couldn't leave the ones to Helene there. I will be posting pictures of the letters by date sequentially everyday up to Valentine's Day. There are more than two people involved here, and you can try to guess what happened. Day 1, Letters to Helene. The envelope on the first letter is dated 3-23-43.
    Lumii_20240130_233750654.jpg
    Lumii_20240130_233921897.jpg
    This second letter
    Lumii_20240130_234015223.jpg
    Lumii_20240130_234251205.jpg

Lumii_20240130_221625388.jpg

2. Joe in PA

Joe in PA Well-Known Member

I’m sure you have the best of intentions in posting these and perhaps I am alone in feeling this way but I feel it’s very disrespectful and an invasion of privacy (be they living or dead) to publish these.

3. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

The parties will remain anonymous. The letters were part of a large collection at the antique store, probably sold as a lot at auction. I am not revealing where the people lived or last names. The families obviously did not want them. They provide a glimpse of history and what it was like to be separated from loved ones by war. There is nothing explicit in the letters. To me, they show how much the young man loved and missed his sweetheart. If they offend you, please refrain from reading my daily posts.

Bronwen, stracci, bercrystal and 6 others like this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I don't see the harm. These are anonymous people to me, and it's interesting info. I like that first initial. Where did he learn that?
    00000ccaaab.jpg

Bronwen, stracci, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  5. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

The penmanship that I saw on all the letters in the basket was amazing. Some were typed, though.

Bronwen, stracci, cxgirl and 3 others like this.
  6. NanaB

NanaB Well-Known Member

I think this is simply beautiful. A lost forgotten art. Letter writing & penmanship.

Bronwen, stracci, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  7. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Day Two, letters 3 and 4:
    Lumii_20240131_111931753.jpg Lumii_20240131_111936935.jpg Lumii_20240131_111948809.jpg Lumii_20240131_111959809.jpg

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Too bad we don't have hers - he probably couldn't keep them. You have to wonder if he made it back. The writers are probably long dead, so publishing the contents isn't violating anyone's privacy.

I'd file them with other first hand historic documents that tell stories about what life was like. I think the Civil War on up gave us piles of documentation on ordinary joes, and it's a good thing to have.

Bronwen, kyratango and johnnycb09 like this.
  9. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I think they are wonderful,and a testament to a vanished world. Now Im dying to know if they got married,or did she break his heart !

10. evelyb30

Or did something else happen. He was going to be shot at, and bad stuff happens to soldiers. My dad's cousin with his same name died in England in a training accident before ever getting into Italy/France/wherever. Stuff happened.

Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  11. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I will reveal all I was able to find out on February 14th.

Bronwen, johnnycb09, cxgirl and 3 others like this.
  12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

yer such a Romantic !!!!!:playful:..:kiss:

13. sassafras

sassafras Well-Known Member

I love this! It hits close to home for me. My husband was also a Marine when we got married and was sent "off to war" only six weeks into our marriage. He was gone for nine months. We saved all of our letters that we sent back and forth to each other along with mini cassette recordings. Decades have passed and now it's fun for us to read back through them. After we're gone our boys will get a good laugh out of them, but know that mom and dad truly loved each other. If they end up in an antique booth someday and shared with the world all the better. I hope they put a smile on everyone's face and make them say awwww. I just better be dead before that happens! :)

14. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I am. My hubby is in his own peculiar way.

15. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Letter #5
    Lumii_20240201_163705642.jpg
    Lumii_20240201_163659289.jpg
    Lumii_20240201_163710195.jpg

Bronwen, cxgirl, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  16. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

Wow, these letters are wonderful!

I'm so happy you rescued them and are sharing them with us!
    Looking forward to the next installment!

Bronwen, cxgirl, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  17. NanaB

NanaB Well-Known Member

Ok, I cant wait for the next letter….

Bronwen, cxgirl and johnnycb09 like this.
  18. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Here it is, letter #6:
    Lumii_20240202_115845830.jpg
    Lumii_20240202_115856490.jpg

cxgirl, NanaB, stracci and 1 other person like this.
  19. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

He struck an officer ??? Wow,I wonder what prompted that / I wish we had Helene's letters !

cxgirl, Marko and stracci like this.
  20. evelyb30

Sounds like the officer earned it.

Marko and stracci like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted