WWI Centennial FB Page photo

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Bev aka thelmasstuff, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

The WWI Centennial often posts photos like this. Great one of a man in uniform - could help ID medals & hat, etc. 16729459_1239566946137380_5031349185054189387_n.jpg

SBSVC and KingofThings like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'm still trying to figure out why anyone ever thought that style hat looked good.

3. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

...and he looks awfully darn full of himself, too, doesn't he?

judy and Bakersgma like this.
  4. evelyb30

It's all the fancy scrap metal on his jacket, combined with an ego to match no doubt. Unless he's an actor in a costume or something.

KingofThings likes this.
  5. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Speaking of that hat, sometime in the last couple of months I read that those German spike military hats were a left over from sword fighting wars. The spikes deflected swords or whatever from splitting ones head open in hand to hand combat. The correct name of them is pickelhaube. Just a bit of trivial that I don't know if true or not.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickelhaube

--- Susan

KingofThings likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Well fed.

Debora

KingofThings likes this.
  7. Ladybranch

Trying to ID rank , regiment, etc.. by the helmet plate. It is a spread eagle with a Prussian Garde front plate/Helmewappen. On the eagle is a Garde star with a round center. Wish I could see exactly what is in the middle of the center. Also can't see the epaulets well enough to determine rank.

Scroll down a bit to the section "Preußen (Prussian) Garde Helmewappen (Front Plate)" and click on the 4 thumbnails for bigger pics and a bit more detail.
    http://www.kaisersbunker.com/hp/wappen.htm

The thumbnails pics of different emblems at the top probably has more help but all n German and can't copy/paste to a translate site.

--- Susan

KingofThings likes this.
  8. evelyb30

I'm fairly sure the eagle is this one: http://www.kaisersbunker.com/hp/hp20e.htm

The bullseye (aka target if you're a sniper) seems really raised, but we can't see what's dead center well enough to be entirely sure.

KingofThings and Ladybranch like this.
  9. Ladybranch

The cross pinned low on his jacket is an Iron Cross 1st class. The one that appears to be attached to a ribbon around his neck is probably an Iron Cross 2nd class. It seems the back of IC 1st class is flat with a pin or screw backs while IC 2nd class have a ring loop at the top only. It appears this man has received at least 1 of each. 2nd class ones are for a single act of bravery while 1st class for repeated acts of bravery while in combat.

--- Susan

KingofThings likes this.
  10. Ladybranch

I tend to agree with you evelyb on the center being raised, definitely higher that the other round, bullseye, ones.

--- Susan

KingofThings likes this.
  11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Well, he's got his weapon right on his head.....just needs an exaggerated forward tilt.................:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

KingofThings likes this.
  12. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

And shall we hope that he was not forgetful enough to SIT on his hat? Unless of course he was into that sort of thing......................

13. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

You've got a point...................
    ~
    :wideyed::eek::D:rolleyes:

14. KingofThings

"OH my."
    ~
    That's a quote.
    :wideyed::eek:

15. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    He certainly looks Italian not German to me.
    greg

KingofThings likes this.
  16. evelyb30

Then again part of what's Italy now was German back when. His medals and hat are German.

KingofThings likes this.
  17. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I just remembered DH has some old Leslie's Magazines.....Bev's guy's helmet kind of resembles this cheerful bloke's helmet:

LesliesOct17-1917.jpg

LIbraryLady and KingofThings like this.
  18. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i think that's more than ....kind of !!! :jawdrop:

Aquitaine and KingofThings like this.
  19. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

20. KingofThings

Hogan's Heroe's lead in!
    It just came on!!!