WW1 Silver Spoon

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by outatime, Jan 20, 2017.

1. outatime

outatime New Member

Hi, I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me in learning a bit more about this spoon?

So far i've managed to establish it's silver, from Chester and made in 1914, assuming i've interpreted the assay marks correctly.

Given this it would have been made at the beginning of the war and would therefore not be a commemorative item as such.

I've tried looking into the Might and Right aspect but not managed to turn up anything at all.

Any info or help guiding me in the right direction would be gratefully received.

IMG_3141.jpg
    IMG_3142.jpg

angel321 likes this.
  2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

You could load a larger inage so the details would be visble if you cropped it like this. It may be just my old and poor sight but I can't really see it well.
    The the beginning of the war there was a big groundswell of patriotism that led to the production of many similar items. It would be better with natural light to obviate flash-burn, and a plain background.

IMG_3141b.jpg

outatime likes this.
  3. outatime

outatime New Member

hi afantiques, thank you for your reply. Here is a closer view of the top of the spoon.

I was thinking along the same lines as you in that it may have been produced to solidify unity towards an ally who was a traditional enemy.

IMG_6586.jpg

komokwa likes this.
  4. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

It was also a period when novelty and souvenir spoons were the height of fashion ---- at least among people who bought spoons one at a time.

Of course, Britain was the might and France had the right not to be invaded.

If, around 1800, Napoleon could have been persuaded to support a general peace in Europe and concentrate on his legal and administrative reforms in France, the situation 100 years later would have been very different. As it was France never won a military conflict in 200 years.

outatime likes this.
  5. outatime

outatime New Member

No doubt a fairly common piece then if it was a time when such things was the fashion. Perhaps one to just auction then and see where it goes.

Rule Britannia ;)

6. ghostman777

ghostman777 New Member

This may just be a decorative spoon, not military issue certainly. There was a lot of allied powers memorabilia at the start of the war.

Draft saved Draft deleted