Featured writing box stationary cabinet Victorian 1890s....or something else??

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by komokwa, Mar 17, 2017.

1. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

It's upright...so not a slope...right.....upright.......wrong ???
    It's Dad's ....& now mine.......
    Please feel free to share your thoughts.....!!
    Oh.....& what's the value...how much would you pay for it....what does it cost.....where can I get loads of cash for it......:hilarious:

b5.jpg b55.jpg b555.jpg b55555.jpg b5555555.jpg
    ( can u tell I'm a little fed up with so many newbies only wanting to know the value of their un- antique items lately......) :grumpy:

Oh well........show & tell time !!

2. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Komo, it's worth a FORTUNE! Will you take a check? :angelic:

3. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

What you got here is like a campaign desk sorta dealie, or what I think some people call paymasters' desks. Basically a small, compact, portable desk with loads of compartments for important documents.

I have seen LOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAADS of those glass square-cut inkwells. I'd say that this is more towards the early 20th century than the 1800s.

Something like this would've been transported in a car or truck or cart or whatever, then when you reached your destination - you set this thing up and it sat there - it never moved anywhere.

Does this thing have any carry-handles on the sides? As far as writing boxes or writing cases go, this is more like a portable army desk than an actual writing case.

4. komokwa

Thank you Shang....I knew you'd have a qualified opinion on this puppy !!!:happy::happy:

Oh...SBSVC.......no cheques.....you can pay me in JAM !!! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

pearlsnblume and KingofThings like this.
  5. komokwa

Ooops... no handles of any kind !

KingofThings likes this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

NO HANDLES???????????????? There goes the JAM.......RIGHT OUTTA THE WINDOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:woot::woot::woot::woot::(:(:(:meh::meh::rolleyes:

komokwa likes this.
  7. komokwa

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:..:greedy::greedy::playful::(:(

I'm gonna go and screw some handles on that right now !!!!!!

Aquitaine likes this.
  8. Aquitaine

But it's still a nice looking portable box, desk, whichever!!!!!:smug::smug::smug:

komokwa likes this.
  9. Aquitaine

And what are the two glass (?) square things in the corners??? For ink??? And does that little section between lift up and hold pens/pencils/nibs???? Still....very cool!!!! Getting cooler the more I look at it!!!!!:cool::cool:

Edit: Scratch the middle question....I see you did lift the middle section!!
    Double Edit: And Shangas said they were inkwells....DUUUH....it would pay if I paid attention :sour:

10. komokwa

When I get thru with it...it'll be worth jam !!!
    Bawhahaha!!!!!!!

pearlsnblume, judy and Aquitaine like this.
  11. komokwa

3rd pic......inkwells..yes.....and the center has a little knob that picks up the top wood plank for pen storage underneath.....

What do you think about handles......brass...or silver ??? ;)

12. Aquitaine

@komokwa "What do you think about handles......brass...or silver ??? ;)"

Well, If I were to buy it for OOOOOOOODLES of Jam, GOLD (SOLID, of course) would be NICE!!!! But as a back-up, brass would suffice...........

13. komokwa

OOOOOOOOOODLES.......hummm, lemme think about that for a while...!:happy::happy::happy::hilarious:

pearlsnblume likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted