Featured Woven Hat Wall Decor Ethnic Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by alynnfin, Aug 31, 2024.

1. alynnfin

alynnfin Well-Known Member

I bought this mainly because it had a design on the rim. It is probably just a tourist item, but wanted to check on this site as this group of antiquers know so much. It looks to have had a lot of work put into it not only the design on the rim, IMG_1062__1725136002_28592.jpg IMG_1068__1725136115_90234.jpg IMG_1063__1725136089_65310.jpg IMG_1065__1725136066_38395.jpg IMG_1067__1725136030_62068.jpg but the tight bamboo (if bamboo) around the rim. It has a short raised area that could be for a head, but it would not stay on as far as I can see. It measures 18 inches long by 15 inches from side to side. Any ideas.

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

PICTURES???????????????

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Lots....!!!!
    u on a fartsmone

5. alynnfin

There are lots of pictures, not sure what you meant.

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

SORRY, @alynnfin, think I must have commented JUST BEFORE you uploaded them!!!

7. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I have not seen anything exactly like it. It seems Asian in origin, but I don't recognize the materials. It does not look like bamboo or rattan, which would be most common. My best guess, based on basic shape and techniques used, is that it is a simplified decorative version of a Philippines hat called a salakot. Their shapes are quite varied, but some are oval; they can be made using stake and strand (wicker) and plaited techniques (rather than coiled); and the decoration used on the rim is also seen on other types of basketry made in the Philippines. If it were a functional hat, it would be more domed and most likely have an extra bowl shaped section on the inside which would fit more securely on the head.

It can be difficult to identify decorative, non-functional baskets as they don't always follow traditional designs and are not considered worth documenting as they get scattered around the globe.

I have found 3 conical baskets that are very similar to each other, and which share basic characteristics with yours - wicker weaving technique with a plaited start in the center, and the thick rim with overlay decoration - but they are inexpertly identified as being from Africa, NA California (definitely not), and Philippines -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193590548789

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/en-gb/item/89101880_vintage-cone-shaped-wicker-indian-basket

https://www.ebay.com/itm/395040177226

Last edited: Sep 1, 2024
    komokwa likes this.
  8. alynnfin

Thank you so much. You are so knowledgable in basket and weaving. I really appreciate it!

Any Jewelry and 2manybooks like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted