Featured Wounded Civil War Vet Business Card - BIN or Auction?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Bookahtoo, Feb 1, 2024.

1. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I'd like to list this business card on ebay but I'm trying to decide whether to do an auction or BIN. I'm always worried that an auction listing won't won't find its potential bidders.
    Any thoughts?

batch_2024-01-19-0001.jpg

batch_2024-01-19-0002.jpg

2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

That's a very interesting item! :bookworm:

mirana, cxgirl, wlwhittier and 2 others like this.
  3. Bookahtoo

Yes it is Roaring. Thank you!

wlwhittier likes this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's got an audience. I know at least one Gettysburg collector who'd be after it.

wlwhittier, Figtree3 and NewEngland like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

LauraGarnet02 and wlwhittier like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

That's really some piece of history !!!

To my mind, one can never tell if the ultimate bidder is watching at any one time.

BIN....1st come 1st served....and u get the price you're asking..

Auction....more time to have that right buyer find it....and u get what the market will bear !

I might 1st offer it to a Museum....or historical society from where the soldier came from...

Ya ya....they prefer that u donate......but both do have patrons and budgets that allow for purchases too .;):happy:

mirana, cxgirl and wlwhittier like this.
  8. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Great and special piece-I'd be patient ,get a variety of comps and wait to list it until after I'd determined reasonable worth.

mirana, cxgirl and wlwhittier like this.
  9. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

cxgirl, wlwhittier and Debora like this.
  10. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

mirana, LauraGarnet02, cxgirl and 3 others like this.
  11. bosko69

Good find Roaring.The photo that accompanies the beginning of that article is sad and quite ghastly.The poor lad was literally 'shot to pieces'.
    PS-They've been using that same term in some of the recent U.S. school massacres.

wlwhittier likes this.
  12. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

If I'm unsure at what figure to list an item at, I always put it in as an auction with quite a high starting price. More than I would be happy with. If nobody bids, no problem, you can always relist at a lower price and from the amount of views and watchers you can gauge interest. Better than starting rock bottom and only one person bidding and stealing a bargain from you. This especially applies with a niche market such as yours.

Edit, oh and you can always include the make offer option so anyone can make you an offer at any time before any bids are made..

wlwhittier and Figtree3 like this.
  13. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

14. Bookahtoo

15. bosko69

Ebay,Ebay,Ebay-Hate 'em,but where the hell else are you gonna go when you want ultimate top dollar ?
    ...and we're all intrigued,fascinated,obsessed by just how crazy it just might get right ?

cxgirl and wlwhittier like this.
  16. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Good luck, @Bookahtoo -- And of course let us know how you do with it!

cxgirl, komokwa and wlwhittier like this.
  17. Bookahtoo

While doing research on items recently, I've contacted several people online via their websites, blogs, etc., to ask for their help with information. I've ended up making 3 sales that way - by them sending friends of theirs that they knew would be interested in what I had.
    In this way, I have avoided ebay altogether for those particular items. I may not have gotten top dollar, but I believe I got a fair deal, as did they.

And I've made some new contacts. Which is good, because since I closed my store I haven't remained part of the local dealer network.

mirana, cxgirl, komokwa and 7 others like this.
  18. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Sounds like a great idea.

komokwa likes this.
  19. Bookahtoo

I wrote to Military Images Magazine, and another editor, Ron answered. He copied my email to Charles (Chuck) Joyce. So Thanks again @Roaring20s for that suggestion.

20. bosko69

That's a great way to market items in prob a safer way than Ebay.

Draft saved Draft deleted