Featured Would love info on ‘19th century bronze Islamic plate’

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Robert Walker, Jun 6, 2023.

1. Robert Walker

Robert Walker Love to learn...

Hi all, I hope you all are well. I bought this dish recently. According to the guy I bought it from he had it appraised at an auction house. He was told it was a bronze 19th century islamic dish-hammered and forged. That is not much info, of course. I myself haven’t seen an object similar to this one before. The manner in which it is made does remind me of some dishes I’ve seen originating from the Middle East. But for the rest, I’m pretty much clueless…

Bronze: 32x32x3cm- just under 1 kg.

So, yet again I turn to my favorite forum!

All info and thoughts are welcome. Thanks in advance, all the best take care, Robert.

IMG_1361.jpeg
    IMG_1362.jpeg
    IMG_1363.jpeg
    IMG_1364.jpeg
    IMG_1366.jpeg IMG_1365.jpeg

Figtree3, Any Jewelry and Born2it like this.
  2. Robert Walker

@Any Jewelry I know you are very knowledgeable irt items like these!:)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

with that cross I see no islamic....

& funny that the dish looks so well made with thought and patience.........and then the cross ...almost an after thought....so poorly designed and rushed...

Figtree3, aaroncab and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Robert Walker

Exactly what puzzles me!

Figtree3 likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Hum... An "Islamic" plate with a cross motif?

Debora

6. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

There were /Are Christians in Islamic countries so maybe just that.

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yes, of course. But the seller described it as "a bronze 19th century islamic dish" which is unlikely given it uses what appears to be the cross, a Christian symbol.

Debora

Robert Walker and komokwa like this.
  8. Robert Walker

Hi All. I called the seller, who sells online and through an auction house. Asked him: why ‘Islamic’ and how were you able to tell the age? (He’s sells quite a lot of antique foreign object- I have to say, he often has quit special objects) Answer: He had send pictures to the auction house. They gave him the info. And, appraised it at around €200?- (At this auction house they online accept items above €200,-) This is al the info I have. In my experience the info shared on this forum is much better and/or a good start for further investigation then the info from the appraiser!;)

Figtree3, komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Cross aside, Islamic isn't very precise. It covers a vast area from Morocco in the west to Canton and the Philippines in the east.
    Wild guess: Made in an Ottoman or Ottoman occupied country for a local Christian community. Probably for religious use.

Ottoman occupied is still a large chunk of the world, spread out over three continents, but it is a start.;) I would guess a country fairly close to Turkey, maybe Caucasus, Balkans, or greater Syria.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2023
    Figtree3, Robert Walker and Bakersgma like this.
  10. Robert Walker

I have to agree on; ‘Islamic’ it’s so vague. Never thought it could be ottoman. Any thoughts on approx how old it is? Or, what terms or so to use to see if I can find more info? Thoughts for all of your thought!:)

11. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I am baffled by the decorative "technique" (or lack thereof), particularly the random pock marks on the rim. I would be interested in what @Hollyblue might think.

12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Interesting. I have nothing useful to say, but wanted to watch how this discussion develops.

komokwa likes this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is extremely basic, isn't it. Much more so than you would expect from most "Islamic" regions.

It clearly has some age, otherwise I would have thought it was modern with a hammered and antiqued finish. I don't know if it is as old as the seller claims though.

2manybooks and Figtree3 like this.
  14. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Looks crudely made by an 12 year old apprentice in a back alley metals shop sometime in the last century.

2manybooks likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted