Featured WOULD LIKE OPINIONS, IF POSSIBLE ON THESE TWO CLAY FIGURES.....

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Aquitaine, Jun 23, 2024.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

When my family bought our 1672 house on Block Island,(RI) in 1952...it came somewhat furnished.....and these two figures were on the mantle piece....and there is exactly where they stayed until my parents sold the house and property in '88......of course, the oldest brother (now deceased) wound up with them.....the figures are made of clay (didn't see any other FORUM to put them in!)....to me, they have SO MUCH feeling and expression in them....I've always loved them as our parents did!! I also believe they were thought to be made of Island clay (of which there was plenty by most of the cliffs on the Island!) and BY someone on the Island(which only makes them more dear to me,but that aside), I would like your thoughts and opinions of them...would like to convince the SIL to sell them to me, (she didn't grow up on, or have anything to do with, the Island)....Also if anyone can come up with any 'comps' I'd love to hear them!!! AS ALWAYS, I SO APPRECIATE your thoughts and Thank You!!! Almost forgot..........they are about 10" tall..........

POST-1 FIGURES-1 FRONT.jpg
    POST-2 FIGURES-2-BACK.jpg
    POST 3--2 FIGURES--SIDE.jpg

Last edited: Jun 23, 2024
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Very Dickensian, aren't they?

Debora

J Dagger and Aquitaine like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

kentworld and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I was going to suggest that. I'm also going to share with a FB page I follow for the Descendants of the Founders in case any of them who are still living there recognize these. It's quite possible that the homeowners brought them back from a trip or purchased them from a gallery that imported them.

It's very hard to see details in that light. Can you show them against a lighter background with better lighting and also the bottom of the base of each in case there are some marks?

Aquitaine likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Their execution is newer than their subject, I'd think.

Debora

6. Aquitaine

Bev, there was a VERY BUSY background that I 'cleared out', and they are NOT in my possession---(BOY do I wish they were!!!) I RARELY get to that SIL's home, where they are!! The individual who I dealt with at the Block Island Historical Society in the past, has retired.....she was an Islander and a wealth of information!! But absolutely worth a try to see if I can contact her! And believe me, I went over both figures with a magnifying glass and a "Fine Tooth Comb" looking for ANY INDICATION of a signature!!!! However, I WILL drop them on a more neutral/lighter background to see if that helps....! Possible I might have added a bit too much contrast!!!:(:inpain:

And THANK YOU both, @Debora and @Bev aka thelmasstuff .......(I'll be back......)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2024
    cxgirl likes this.
  7. Aquitaine

@Debora, could you clarify this a bit??? Thanks

8. Aquitaine

@Bev aka thelmasstuff, back with an adjusted image, BUT to know that if I 'adjust' an image too much or often, the image starts to degrade a bit.......hope it helps you a bit, anyway!!

ADJUSTED CONTRAST-2 FIGURES-1 (3a).jpg

Debora and cxgirl like this.
  9. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Those are absolutely wonderful. Hope the SIL gives them up since they mean more to you than her.

cxgirl and Aquitaine like this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

They appear to be wearing 19th century dress but the deliberately rough execution looks more 20th century to my eye.

Debora

Aquitaine likes this.
  11. Aquitaine

@Debora, Gotcha.......thanks.....and if not done by someone on the Island, I have the abstract on the property & previous owners of the house, so they could have been bought elsewhere & brought over by one of them!!! As I recall, a couple of the previous owners were also Islanders.....Would be fun to find out! :cool: :rolleyes:

12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Actually, on second look, those could be a bit older. Late 19th century. I do think possible part of a series. Literary or musical characters.

Debora

Last edited: Jun 24, 2024
  13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks like a mid to late 1800's stovepipe hat , and those guys are down on their luck, and out in the cold.

cxgirl likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted