Would anybody know anything more about this oval tureen?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Cattitude, May 1, 2022.

1. Cattitude

Cattitude Member

I did try to google it but by this marks but couldn't find anything helpful. Is it real, fake, year ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

He was active end 19th century/beginning 20th century. Like how the Royal Warrant is handled.

Debora

Born2it likes this.
  3. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

What do you mean by "fake"?
    No one is/was likely to "fake" (make it more recently but to appear antique) an item or maker such as this. If you mean is it silver or silverplate, "fake" is not an appropriate term to use. There are tons of genuine antique silverplate items.
    You don't show any, so no silver hallmarks?
    Possibly silverplate, then, but I'm no expert on judging that just by photos.
    THIS website states James Aitchison was active 1874-1921. But since yours mentions the king and queen, that could refer to King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra. Edward VII ruled from 1901-1910. Or it could possibly refer to King George V and Queen Mary. George V ruled from 1910-1936.
    This was just from some very quick googling and only a rudimentary knowledge of the English monarchs of the time (I'm American, LOL). More research is needed.

Last edited: May 1, 2022
  4. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

(deleted comment due to odd issues with posting photo...)
    [​IMG]

5. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Just adding that it doesn't appear to be a tureen, which is a deeper dish used to serve soups.
    I would just call yours a covered serving dish.

A tureen:

Screenshot (58)jpg.jpg

EDIT: Still having trouble uploading photos. For some reason they will show when I’m editing but not in my final post.

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi @Cattitude, when posting and asking about items, it's always nice to post images of the WHOLE item you want information on!!! It makes it harder to help when we're not sure what we're looking at!!! Thanks!!:happy::happy:

BoudiccaJones and bluumz like this.
  7. Cattitude

Cattitude Member

Thank you everybody, sorry, here are more images
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Born2it and Aquitaine like this.
  8. Aquitaine

Thanks for posting!!! A nice serviceable tureen it is!!! There are a few marks where I've circled on the bottom on the edge, although I think one of the other members will answer to them better than I!!! @Bakersgma or @say_it_slowly ??

9WmsdEW.jpg

9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I can't find anything circled on any picture you attached Where is it?

10. Aquitaine

Click on the last image, @Bakersgma ....I'm not totally sure what the marks are.....circled on the RIGHT side..........maybe OP can try and get a better close-up???

11. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

What last image? I see no image/

anundverkaufen likes this.
  12. Cattitude

Cattitude Member

I don't know why but for some reason images are broken on this forum. I've just uploaded them here: https://imgur.com/a/uOfUllJ

I've polished it and added that picture a well.

Thanks.