Wooden spoon - Thrift store reject or Native American relic?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by J Dagger, Jul 24, 2023.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

As happens often I incorrectly remembered the ending time of the nearest estate sale today. They NEVER happen in my town and this weekend there was a sale conveniently 1 mile away. Got there at 2pm Saturday. The published ending time was 3pm yet they told me they were closed at 2pm when I arrived. I checked again before leaving and online definitely said 3pm, but whatever. I just hate that they lied to me and told me it was 2pm when clearly it was just dead and they wanted to go home. Anyways I figured it was 2pm again today so I sipped coffee until 1pm and then got up to leave only to double check on the way out the door and today was 1pm. So I found the next closest sale and made it there with 15 mins to spare before close. Found my first “wild” silver in a while. They had a handful of sterling flatware odds and ends in a case. Then they had the standard kitchen drawer organizer bins out on the counters. Flipped through one and pulled out a mid 19th century coin silver spoon. Covered in gunky verdigris worse than I’ve seen a piece of flatware but surely coin silver retailed by E.B Horn of Boston. Got that, a couple random pieces, and this wooden spoon for $2. Long story long, is this just a white mans old handmade wooden spoon or is it Native American made potentially? I grabbed it because I recalled seeing similar examples being attributed as NA. Doing some browsing it looks like a general “woodlands” description is given to some in similar form. 4743C4EF-E468-49DB-8AC5-5974A518B49C.jpeg 6FA616DC-6CA6-462A-AAA8-DF1D9FEFE2EE.jpeg A2856A3F-7A5A-4134-B3BE-0384CC9FE3BC.jpeg

antidiem likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I do not recognize it as NA..

3. J Dagger

Shucks

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

lots of these are European ..... but ?

J Dagger and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Ditto, European. A good rural piece, but not exactly folk art.

Figtree3 and J Dagger like this.
  6. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I have a dozen similar from Turkey. They just don't have the little hook at the end. I use them daily.

Figtree3, J Dagger and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. J Dagger

I saw one yesterday that resembles what I was hoping my estate sale spoon might be. Here it is just for reference. I knew I had seen something like it before. They were giving this one a Great Lakes region attribution, late 19th. Pretty sure the lot passed. C7392EAB-8909-4E7B-8683-564A904FAC2D.jpeg AE2C3F63-CD3C-41B3-A530-BFFBBD1124F7.jpeg

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted