Wooden neck support: Ashanti or other? Ideas as to period?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by KatyG, Jan 5, 2024.

1. KatyG

KatyG New Member

Can't find anything of a similar design (without carvings or ornament on the flat surface, but with angled columns either side). Tricky to place! Would love some expert guesses.

Attached Files:

kyratango likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

3. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

I think you will find that members of this forum, unlike those on many other sites, do not tend to make "guesses."

There are experts here in many subject areas, from all over the world. It may take awhile, since not everyone checks in every day, but when the right person does, the identification will usually be accurate, without the need to make a "guess" (which only results in inaccuracy).

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I find it not to be ornate enuf for a high ranking member of the tribe , and likely made for sale .
    I'd suspect circa 1960's or 70's......but I don't have it in hand !

wlwhittier likes this.
  5. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

There appears to be a hint of wear-polishing on the edge of the curved platform, especially the RH end...is it well worn on the upper surface?

6. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Oh, dear... I feel like I should leave the forum! I don't claim to be "expert" in anything and my opinions are indeed sometimes "guesses"... though based on research and long-time collecting/selling experience.

7. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Please don't, bluumz...opinions to the contrary, we're all guessers, more or less.

8. komokwa

I'm wrong here more often that I care to admit !!
    Don't think twice about it......... & you , do you !!!:kiss:;):happy::happy:

Potteryplease, bluumz and wlwhittier like this.
  9. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

:kiss:

kyratango and komokwa like this.
  10. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone here would presume to declare themselves "expert" on any subject, yet there are so many forum members here, who (like bluumz) base their answers on "research and long-time collecting/selling experience," which is the difference between here, and that other antique board site which so many of us left years ago.

I guess I was too quick to respond to "expert guesses," which was probably saying the same thing! All I focused on was the "guess" part. (I do consider the phrase an oxymoron, which I always have trouble with.)

11. komokwa

& how well I understand that cuz I just did similar.....with Art.. Deco....:sorry::sorry:

but ya...no one here .....who gives their time and expertise ...considers what they're doing as...guessing !!:woot:

12. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

The shapes of headrests are quite diverse and individualistic. I have not found another example with all of the same characteristics as yours, but by searching documented museum collections I have found a few from the Kuba, of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, that show a similar foot and seat shape, and include the bent internal legs -

Kuba headrest British Museum.jpg
    https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/image/1613244435

and 2 from the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History -
    Kuba headrest NMNH.jpg

Kuba headrest NMNH 2.jpg

Your headrest does not resemble any documented Ashanti examples that I saw.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2024
Draft saved Draft deleted