Wooden miniature Salesman Sample - Is this a dry sink? Hand carved / wood pins

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by gimbler-dave, Mar 20, 2015.

1. gimbler-dave

gimbler-dave Well-Known Member

This cute piece just came in today and we are trying to find out a few things about it. It is a miniature Salesman Sample made of wood, with hand carving & wood pin construction. It measures about 9 inches high (with the lid closed), 11-1/2 inches wide, and 5 inches deep. The fasteners in the lower base section are made of wood, while metal nails are used for the top. The top appears to have been glued to the base at one time, but is loose now. The underside of the top has an old label (see picture 5) which reads CMV H.67 with writing that looks like a fountain pen.

My first question is "what is this?". We think it is a dry sink, but would like some additional opinions. Second, does anyone see anything that suggests its origin? We suspect English or European, but don't have anything else to go on. The last question is how old it is? I

2. gimbler-dave

Sorry, hit the wrong key and posted early. ... Is there anything that suggests when it was made? Thank you! ... Dave
    db_sample_1.JPG
    db_sample_2.JPG
    db_sample_3.JPG
    db_sample_4.JPG
    db_sample_5.JPG

3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Not a saleman sample. Look like a loving father made for a daughter. Looks like a minature dough box on stand. The dough would have placed in here to rise without drafts. It could have been made for "nice".
    greg

4. gimbler-dave

Great ID Greg! Thank you. I googled Dough Box and found plenty of similar items, although most are much plainer. I like the detail on this one.

KingofThings likes this.
  5. gimbler-dave

As we look at it, we wonder if the top is a replacement. The wood looks a bit newer, plus we have the metal fasteners used for the top, but wood fasteners used in the base.

KingofThings likes this.
  6. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

I think the lid is original (The fasteners might have been replaced at one time)

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted