Featured Wooden Clock, how old?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by opoe, Sep 16, 2017.

1. opoe

opoe Well-Known Member

I know nothing about clocks. Only thing about this one is that I like it s shape, a bit neo-gothic. Who can tell me something about its origins? 2014-07-13 22.59.53.jpg 2014-07-13 22.59.08.jpg 2014-07-13 22.57.17.jpg 2014-07-13 22.55.50.jpg 2014-07-13 22.58.05.jpg

2. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Judging by the mercury pendulum I think you might have some age to it but we will need photos of the rear of the clock mechanism to accurately know anything else.
    Sharper photos would also help.
    Cheers
    Stephen

Christmasjoy, aaroncab, opoe and 2 others like this.
  3. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Who made the clock itself?

Judging by the case, I'd say about 1880. It's beautiful!!

Christmasjoy and opoe like this.
  4. opoe

opoe Well-Known Member

Could not get closer than this...but those phillips screws cannot mean anything good...(Bought this one from a clock maker who might have put a newer mechanism into an old clock case without informing me about that. Still love it though, the case alone is worth the 35 euros I spent on it)

And no, no name on it as far as I can see, although the guy mentioned Ansonia, but the case looks more junghans to me. 2017-02-09 15.51.15.jpg 2017-02-09 15.52.39.jpg 2017-02-09 15.53.26.jpg 2017-02-09 15.53.42.jpg 2017-02-09 15.54.35.jpg 2017-02-09 15.55.00.jpg 2017-02-09 15.56.02.jpg

Attached Files:

5. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

I think you are right about a newer movement as the movement supports seem to be chromed but the case and dial and pendulum go way back. You might find some information or makers marks on the mercury pendulum if you are lucky. I'm very intrigued by the wooden plugs on the back. They seem to be in very unusual locations.
    Cheers
    Stephen

6. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Looks like a routine late 19th C 30 hour strike and alarm sharp gothic style clock, possibly American, where the design came from but as it is in Europe, quite possibly from one of the German makers such as HAC (Hamburg American Clock) who copied US styles and movement designs, because they were far cheaper to make than traditional European designs. You cannot read anything into odd screws, they get lost and replaced when tinkering, and I see no reason why anyone would swap one relatively crude movement for another.
    I see no reason why the apparent mercury pendulum would be mercury, they are usually, on cheap clocks, glass cylinders silvered on the inside, and are quite often just silvery coloured metal cylinders.

7. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

I would make a wager that the pendulum is faux mercury. I have seen a number of them where there were just little faded silver paper tubes that slid down in the glass tubes. If I saw it here in the states I would be suspicious of finding a Japanese mark perhaps even on the movement.

8. opoe

opoe Well-Known Member

9. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

How much????
    $80
    or 80 billion $?????
    :(

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. opoe

opoe Well-Known Member

80 billion italian lira? 35 euro= 42 american dollar, or 309.046 Surinamese Dollar... ;)

11. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Fake mercury pendulums can always be spotted by the way the silvering goes all the way to the top. On a real pendulum the glass tubes are about half full of mercury.
    IN theory they provide temperature compensation, as heat expands the length of the pendulum rod, the mecury expands upwards to keep the centre of gravity in the same place.

In some really fine quality longcase regulator clocks, the metal coefficients of expansion are carefully calculated to give just the compensation intended. In your average French 'table regulator' they are just decorative, for all practical purposes.

12. opoe

opoe Well-Known Member

I like my average german table regulator with its fake mercury pendulum. I now know its origin and age. It's a very decorative piece that fits in nicely in the time capsule that is my home. :)

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  13. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

It is a very attractive clock and honestly who would want the fuss of a true mercury pendulum. It would be somewhat embarrassing and expensive to need the services of a hazardous waste removal team if the cat knocked it over! :D

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    Christmasjoy and opoe like this.
  14. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

I think the case is far from ordinary. As I said above: beautiful!

15. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

"Fascinating."
    ~
    Spock - always.
    :)

Christmasjoy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted