Wood rocking chair with crushed green velvet.

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Trisha B., Oct 9, 2015.

1. Trisha B.

Trisha B. New Member

I am not sure if this is old enough to be concidered Antique . But it was given to me as a payment for something I did for a lady. Here is the picture. Was wondering if anyone knew anything about it. I have looked very hard but only come close in looks. Thanks. IMG_20151009_132859.jpg IMG_20151009_132809.jpg

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

This is an antique so-called "Lincoln Rocker". The originals date to the Civil War era but became very popular and were produced for decades. The lack of details on yours makes me think late 19th century. Looks to be birch or some other nondescript wood stained red to mimic mahogany. This was a common practice at the end of the late 19th century and beyond, so is another clue to age. Of course, the upholstery is a much later addition from the 70s or later.

Figtree3 and Trisha B. like this.
  3. verybrad

Here is the rocker Lincoln was assassinated in at the Ford theater. It is now housed at the Henry Ford Museum. Ironically, I was just at the Henry Ford on Tuesday but did not see the rocker.

[​IMG]

komokwa and Trisha B. like this.
  4. Trisha B.

Trisha B. New Member

Wow ,thanks so much! ^.^ more info than I thought. He he he thanks!

5. Trisha B.

Trisha B. New Member

Can you give an estimate around about it's worth? Mine I mean. Would be helpful. Not like how much exactly just a rough estimate?

6. verybrad

Value is minimal. These are not in favor these days. Maybe $100.00 or so to the right person on the right day in the right location. Otherwise, worth what you can get for it. I have seen similar sell for less than $20.00 at auction. A quick search of ebay completeds show none sold at any price. Here are sold examples on live auctioneers. Prices in general are well under $100.00, with a few outliers doing better.

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/sea...e=gallery&hasimage=true&type=complete&rows=40

Trisha B. likes this.
  7. Trisha B.

Trisha B. New Member

Ohh. Well darn. But at least I have something cool. So it is an antique though right? If so then I have something to pass down to my kids. Maybe one day it will be sought after. Haha. Now if I was to place new fabric on it, would that be a bad thing? I plan to do that but I plan to find material old enough but good and strong to use.
    Well I sure do appreciate your help with this.

8. verybrad

It is an antique and reupholstering will improve it. That green crushed velvet is not helping it any.

Draft saved Draft deleted