Wood chairs ,any ideas ?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by johnnycb09, Apr 1, 2016.

1. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Hi all . Picked these up today because the lines just captured me , and they were $5 a piece ! I need chairs like a hole in the head , but love hit me . I think they are 80s , but I base that on the upholstery alone . Could they be 70s ? I call them bentwood , but is bent oak more correct ? You wouldn't believe how tight and sturdy they are ,no movement at all ! Oh and the label has Quebec on it. Any input is always appreciated . Excuse the mess , spring clean out ! As I drag more in !?!? DSCN4035.JPG DSCN4035.JPG DSCN4037.JPG DSCN4038.JPG

KingofThings likes this.
  2. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

3. johnnycb09

Wow , that's pretty close ! I looked at some of his others and mine do bear a striking resemblance ! Now Ive got to dig deeper from that angle , Thanks for the lead , gila . :)

KingofThings likes this.
  4. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

My pleasure!

KingofThings likes this.
  5. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

they remind me of hotel chairs, they look very nice

KingofThings and johnnycb09 like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

very nice....Go Quebec !!!

KingofThings likes this.
  7. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Quebecpasa?

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

De Ca-Nada !!

KingofThings likes this.
  9. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

:)

10. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Look for labels on all the chairs to see if yours are Ward Bennett (2 t's :)). Here is an example from a different Bennett chair I have.

label.jpg

11. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Oh, wow, SIS... maybe that'll cinch it!

12. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Funny, I just dropped my chair at a consignment shop yesterday and had just taken the photos so very fresh in my mind:)

13. johnnycb09

The only other tag says "made in Canada " " Frame made in Yugoslavia " . Id take a pic but I cant find fresh batteries , though I just bought some !

14. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I think 80s seems about right. Appear to be typical contract furniture in a classic style. There were probably many companies that made similar and, as the label indicates, yugoslavian make on the frame. Yugoslavia made a lot of beech chairs for wholesale export that companies could re-brand. I know this from personal experience. We used to buy chairs as parts from Yugoslavia in the late 80s that we assembled, finished, and branded as our own. Importing as parts saved us a lot of money and gave us an edge in the business.

antidiem, johnnycb09 and janettekay like this.
  15. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

I would have gotten them also !!! I also like the "lines". Look like a nice size also..

johnnycb09 likes this.
  16. johnnycb09

And upon further researching , these just don't have the " quality " assembly of Ward bennetts stuff . They are very nice copies though ! And so well made I still maintain $5 each was well worth it . :) Until I price recovering , of course !

17. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

This was a really instructive thread to follow... from initial lack of info to some info to conclusive info. Thanks, Johnny, and everybody.

Draft saved Draft deleted