Winterling Teapot identify

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by khmer-teapot, Jan 7, 2021.

1. khmer-teapot

khmer-teapot New Member

wintering.jpg I bought a teapot that look like my sister, mine does not have made in Germany. Does anyone know anything about these two?

2. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Khmer, I would say theses are COFFEE pots, not teapots.

Winterling made many pieces in the same shapes, but in different patterns - and they made MANY, MANY patterns. Shown below are first, a Winterling coffee pot, and then a Winterling teapot:

winterling coffee pot re.jpg winterling tea pot re.jpg

Your patterns may not have had names.

Here is some info that may help you date these pots by the maker's mark on the bottom:

comparison of marks: Porcelain and pottery marks (theoldstuff.com)

The company was started by seven Winterling brothers in Röslau, Bavaria. It was founded as Gebrüder Winterling O.H.G. in 1907. Ten years later they took over Oscar Schaller porcelain factory located in Schwarzenbach.

In 1950 the business was turned into a joint-stock company. In 1954 they started another factory in Bruchmühlbach. The Winterling Porzellan A.G. was not doing so good (sic) as in previous years. Finally the company went bankrupt in the year 2000. The factory was taken over by Triptis Porzellan G.m.b.H. & Co. K.G. New owner was in trouble itself and lost solvency in 2004.

Porcelain and pottery marks (theoldstuff.com)

3. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

some German makers added an edition number for the form on porcelain (and ceramics).
    the 40 could be older than the 78.

i need help, KikoBlueEyes and judy like this.
  4. khmer-teapot

khmer-teapot New Member

We both weigh it, the pattern 40 weigh 21.8oz vs 23oz, so sound like they might have mixed more cow bones on the older one to make it lighter? Also in 1919 and beyond is require "Made in Germany" to be printed on the pots. I think your right the 40 pattern might be older also I can't find it anywhere while the pattern 78, I was able to find it online. So the newer is heavier and they flipped the floral upward vs sideway on their first production.

KikoBlueEyes and judy like this.
  5. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

don't forget that during WWI and especially 1933 to 1945 many German producers didn't give a hoot's pattoottee about international laws; especially not about the English laws because that market was blocked anyway.

KikoBlueEyes and judy like this.
  6. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

I see what you mean--same decal on both coffee pots, but one horizontal and one vertical. I might never have noticed if you hadn't said.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted