Windsor chair maybe? HELP!

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by ArtandCharc, Mar 31, 2024.

1. ArtandCharc

ArtandCharc New Member

:)
    Hello! I'm not actually much of an antique guy ,but I grabbed this chair for 5 dollars at a garage sale. And before I go sanding it down and reupholstering it , I thought maybe I could possibly get some general info on when and where it was built . Any general date ,type,region, etc would be very helpful and interesting to me and my kids.
    Thanks in advance!

2. ArtandCharc

ArtandCharc New Member

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

It is a Windsor chair but not a period example. It has nice details and is nicer than a lot we see. I am thinking from sometime the first 3rd of the 20th century. You could strip the finish but I would not sand it. Probably just needs cleaned up and apply a Resor-A-Finish.

Figtree3, Ghopper1924 and komokwa like this.
  5. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Yes, Howard’s Restore-a-Finish should do the trick, and much less labor than stripping and refinishing. Nice latter-day Windsor chair!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2024
    Figtree3 likes this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Someone hand stitched that seat, so save it if you can.

Figtree3 likes this.
  7. ArtandCharc

ArtandCharc New Member

Awesome, thanks you all so much for the info!
    And yes sir! I will strip not sand sorry my wording was wrong. I keep bees so I'll probably just go back with a basic beeswax finish . That and the seat is in decent shape apon further inspection. Maybe I'll just replace the gimp .
    Thanks again!

Ps. I also picked up a neet little piano stool at the same garage sale for 8 bucks. It's blows my mind that such good quality solid wood furniture is around and available and people still go to IKEA haha

Figtree3, komokwa and Ghopper1924 like this.
  8. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Ghop,Brad,Tique-Were lots of the very early 18th Cent Windsors painted ?
    PS-Folks are desperate for Mid-Cent Furniture,even the faux IKEA stuff.

9. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

There were many popular design styles in the mid-20th century, just as there are many popular design styles now. It seems that the "mid-century modern" design style, aka MCM, is very popular and collected now, and can bring high prices... not so much for other mid-century design styles. But IMHO, well-made sturdy vintage stuff is always a better option than cheaply made new stuff. (LOL, but I still have a fair amount of cheaply made new stuff in my own home! One can't always find just what one needs among the vintage on FB Marketplace.)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2024
    komokwa likes this.
  10. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Ditto to all above Bluumz.

bluumz likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted