Window shopping today, and I couldn't resist these etched wine glasses!

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Catherine Spry, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Catherine Spry

Catherine Spry New Member

I mean, come on. .98 cents for a pair of them. And they seem to be quite popular, as this pattern is fairly easy to find by searching the internet. BUT, not one of those that I've found has any info as far as who made it. Not one! Seems a bit odd to me, as usually glassware and china pieces collected by a lot of people end up having at least a few who are knowledgeable about what they're selling & have all that info (manufacturer, pattern, etc). Its how I've been able to identify a lot of what I buy. Anyway, the glasses are being described as follows:

Etsy: Optic crystal with cut flowers and leaves. Vintage elegance.
    Ebay: Elegant etched clear flower and leaf.

If so many people collect this pattern, why does it seem no one knows who manufacturer it? Now that I have it too, I feel I must find this out. And there's so many knowledgeable people that visit here, I'm hoping someone has the info I'm looking for. Pics of the glass are below. (1st 3 pics are mine, and the 4th is from Etsy so you can see the pattern a bit more clearly.) WholeGlass.jpg foot.jpg pattern_mine.jpg pattern_theirs_4.jpg

pearlsnblume likes this.
  2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Could be some engraved glass from the usual person in a shed or at the local shopping mall,it's not hard to do,just practice....

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    Catherine Spry, judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  3. Branka

Branka Well-Known Member

I have set of 6. I think they are made during the 1930s and considered Elegant Glass. Some companies are Monongah and Central Glass that I know of. Let’s wait to hear from our experts. I could be all wrong :shame:

Catherine Spry and judy like this.
  4. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

They are not etched, they are cut and the cuts were left unpolished, that is why the design looks frosted.

Catherine Spry, CheersDears and judy like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

People buying or selling them doesn't necessarily mean they collect them. They could buy them simply because they are pretty and the design stands out nicely when you have wine in them.:)

judy, Catherine Spry and Branka like this.
  6. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I sell a lot of glassware at our local flea, I try to ID all of it just because I find it interesting, but these cut designs are very hard to pin down. The people I sell to usually don't care who made them, what the pattern is or when they were made, they buy them because they are pretty. So long as they keep buying them I don't mind :woot:

judy, Catherine Spry and blooey like this.
  7. Catherine Spry

Thanks for all the input. I really do appreciate it. I'm going to keep searching for the maker - it's definitely a challenge to - but I love it.

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  8. Catherine Spry

9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

As above, wheel cut rather than etched. Sellers don't seem to know the difference so search both. Quite a bit of these came from Czechoslovakia and are undocumented. This doesn't look like one of theirs but Libbey made quite a few patterns. Search Libbey Rock Sharpe.

I buy sets of 6 or more for resale but they are slow sellers for me. I usually price way below what new ones would cost or even what they go for on ebay. Still don't sell well for me. I only bring them out close to the holidays and pack them away in January. No chance of selling them any other time of year.

Catherine Spry likes this.
  10. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

My mom had these ..in 1930s and 1940s....so did my aunt (s)...so very common during that time.

Catherine Spry and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. Catherine Spry

Only during christmas you say, verybrad? I'm in California, and they sell fairly quickly here. I see them all the time, but I just recently became interested. My mom has been a collector for 40 plus years; I remember when I was young & we lived near Downey, CA and nearly every Saturday and Sunday she would go through the paper circling yard sale ads nearby, then we'd go to them (when mom starting collecting). We weren't really close when I was younger, as I've always been a 'Daddy's girl', but mom & I are so much closer now, and I suppose I've gotten interested in this (and genealogy!) only because of her. Now I'm just so greatful that we are able to spend more time together.

Have you ever tried selling some of your items online? You could use something like ebay, or set up your own website & sell from there, or even Marketplace on Facebook. Just a thought, as you'd be able to reach a much larger audience of buyers, much more than possible with just a physical store fromt.

12. Catherine Spry

janettekay, my mom said nearly the same thing as you. Yet for as popular as they may have been I still have not been able to find out who made them. I'm going to check verybrad's suggestion of searching Libbey Rock Sharpe right now. Wish me luck, and thanks everybody.

janettekay likes this.
  13. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I don’t think any of the rock sharpe glasses had that type of stem... and they look too lightweight for rock sharpe.

Catherine Spry and verybrad like this.
  14. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Used to sell on ebay quite a bit before it went down the tubes. I know I can sell such things on ebay but don't want to mess with selling fragile glassware and shipping. Have a back-log of items for ebay that I plan to get to some day that have much more profit potential. In the meantime, I do what I can to keep my shop space chugging along. My market is notoriously cheap so I often discount off even ebay prices to be able to sell. I move a lot of merchandise, still at profit, so I can't complain.

Catherine Spry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted