Featured WILLIAM HOGARTH ENGRAVING

Discussion in 'Art' started by jingyel, Dec 5, 2020.

1. jingyel

jingyel Well-Known Member

Hello, I found those engraving from a estate sale. I just wonder if they are collectable or belongs to the original edition? Thanks

侵权.JPG 全球.JPG 前期.JPG 请求.JPG 强强.JPG 全球1.JPG

moreotherstuff, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. Jenn Hawthorne

Jenn Hawthorne New Member

I do not know the answer but I adore these! Great find.

3. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

inventit pinxit et sculpsit
    may allude to Hogarth invented the subject or scenery, painted them, and cropped them.
    as it is plate 4 at least there might be a chance to find out when it was made.

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Hogarth engravings have been printed and reprinted. The plates were re-engraved when they became too worn and printed some more. I have no idea how to tell which came from what edition.

From Wikipedia:
    As a printmaker Hogarth often employed other engravers to produce his work and frequently revised his works between one print run and the next, so it is often difficult to accurately differentiate between works by (or for) Hogarth and those in the style of or "after".

A principal reference is:
    Hogarth's Graphic Works. by Ronald Paulson

(I don't know this book personally, so cannot comment on how useful you might find it, but you may be able to see it through your local library.)

It's a testament to their popularity. Yes they are collectible.

5. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I have a couple large old Hogarth engravings. Early 19th century. They are beautifully framed and well preserved. Formerly owned by the curator of a local museum. I can’t sell them for a good price to save my life. I’ve dropped the price down to $100 each and still can’t sell them. I offered one to someone for $80 and they didn’t take it after expressing interest initially. Such great images but at least for me on the local selling platform I use I can’t seem to get rid of them. Luckily I paid very little but it would kill me to turn them loose for the paltry sum I paid. I may have to buck up though, they are big and I’ve had them nearly a year.

Fid likes this.
  6. AntiqueBytes

AntiqueBytes Well-Known Member

One of my favorite artists. Great find.

Draft saved Draft deleted