Willett Co. = Antique Marblehead Cherry 5 leg round drop leaf table

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by annea, Jul 8, 2023.

1. annea

annea Member

I purchased this antique Willett co., Marblehead cherry table. Looking for information on its estimated age and value. No leaves with the table. Seems very well made and sturdy. Has nice pulls for the drop leaves and middle of table has center metal locks at each end, sort of like on a window. Will sure appreciate more info on it. I am guessing mid 1800's from the leg style? or could it be a newer date? Top has had layer of ? poly or put on top. : ( You can see the excess drips on underside edges. Legs show scuffs wear. I liked the style well though. : )

Attached Files:

Lucille.b and judy like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Lucille.b, Figtree3 and Bakersgma like this.
  3. annea

annea Member

Thanks Debora. I see that now from a google search also. The legs made me think of some of the Federal style tables. So perhaps they were going for that look at a later date then?

Lucille.b likes this.
  4. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

What did the seller say?

I don't like he way the finish is dripped over the edge and beaded along the underside of the table :(

Lucille.b and Aquitaine like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

There appears to be a card affixed to the underside to the left of the stencil. Would/could you post a close-up photograph?

Debora

Lucille.b and Figtree3 like this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Here's the stamp, wasn't sure the card would enlarge well.....NOPE....Makes it unreadable.....a closer image of it would greatly help!

UNDER TABLE-gigapixel-standard-scale-2_00x.jpg

Last edited: Jul 8, 2023
    Lucille.b, Figtree3 and Debora like this.
  7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Someone with an interest in Willett has put together a lot of information.

http://www.dldebertin.com/willett/willett.htm

From what I can gather based on what I think he says, I think your line might have been introduced late 1950s. Just a snippet from the site.

"Later on, into the late 50s. the company added other collections with some different styling themes. These moved away from the rope motif. But the rope motif furniture was still being manufactured, and that furniture ultimately became the "Wildwood collection." But the confusing part is that some of the pieces that do not have the same trim details as those that used the rope turnings still were labeled Wildwood and some even have the metal Wildwood tag (see photos of markings below). In cherry the other collections included Elswick, Marblehead, Transitional, Trans-East and Countryside. There were a smaller number of collections in Maple, the Golden Beryl, Brownleigh, and the Lancaster County Collection are mentioned in advertisements."

An ad for the Marblehead line and showing a numbered table close to your number.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2023
    Lucille.b, Figtree3 and mark737 like this.
  8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Since @annea hasn't replied to the more recent posts in this thread, thought I would tag her as an alert. (Are people getting email alerts for tags here these days?)

Aquitaine, komokwa and Lucille.b like this.
  9. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I think some people are, some not. (I'm not). Worth a try, though.

komokwa and Figtree3 like this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

a PM might get her attention..

11. Figtree3

Maybe... but if the email alerts are not going out, maybe not?

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I don't get alerts......but I get emails for PM's......;)

Figtree3 likes this.
  13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

If you mean the alerts that show on the website, then YES, and YES to PMs!

Figtree3 likes this.
  14. Figtree3

Usually that's what I get... but had to change the settings long ago. It used to send an email for every alert. It was driving me crazy! (It was a short drive.)

Aquitaine and komokwa like this.
  15. annea

annea Member

Just finally logged in again to see the posts that I missed. :( Thank you for the help on this table! Wondering what style of chair might look most appropriate with it? I see in the Willett co. info. "urn back" chairs with a different table, in the link. Don't really like the looks of them though. Wondering what a antique table from the 1800's with this leg style would have had for chairs?

16. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Really think you could put almost any chair you like with the style unless the chair would have distinct turnings vastly different than the table. Matching the cherry wood may be a harder proposition.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted