Featured Wicker basket purse

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by rknarr2, Jan 30, 2019.

1. rknarr2

rknarr2 Well-Known Member

IMG_7492small.JPG IMG_7493small.JPG IMG_7494small.JPG IMG_7495small.JPG IMG_7497small.JPG IMG_7508small.JPG IMG_7491.JPG IMG_7491.JPG Tried to add more pics but they were too big. I think this is a vintage purse. Top: 11” x 9” x 8” Bottom: 6 ¾” x 5” x 8” I would like to try to find out how old it is, the type of wood and the country of origins and worth. Thank you for your assistance in this request. Rob

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

We have them here in the Netherlands, especially in the south. We call them egg baskets, in past times they were used for taking eggs to the market to sell.
    They are still being made, but just for decoration. Yours could be 1960s.

pearlsnblume, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

For future posts, if you are using a cell phone. Email photos to yourself as Medium. Save re-sized photos from Email to your gallery. Upload those choosing Full Size. :) Or you can get a resizing app.

4. rknarr2

Never had a mobile phone but I can resize them with my editor. Thank you. Robert

pearlsnblume, judy and i need help like this.
  5. rknarr2

I found under three … in the corner of my computer Resize. I just have to pick the right one. Robert

pearlsnblume and i need help like this.
  6. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Your basket is made of willow. Varieties of willow have been cultivated for centuries for basket making. In yours, whole rods are used for the foundation, and it looks like split/skeined rods have been used for the side weave (I can't quite see for sure in your photograph). Yours is what would be called "buff" willow, which is willow that has been dried after harvest, and then boiled to loosen and remove the bark. During the boiling the tannins in the bark stain the willow that pleasant shade of brown. This method of processing was developed in the mid to late 19th century and is still in use. (There is also "white" willow, which is peeled shortly after harvest, without boiling, and so retains its white color; and some baskets are made with the bark still on, known as "brown" willow.) The shape is very common, and has been made for many years. As @Any Jewelry says, still in use. Hard to say how old yours is - the latches may be most diagnostic of age.

7. rknarr2

I will add more pics later once I have resized them.

pearlsnblume, i need help and judy like this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks more like a picnic basket...?

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Taking eggs to the market in a basket probably ended in the 19th century. More recently these were and are used for many purposes, including picnics.

10. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I thought it was a picnic basket too.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted