Wicker basket identification?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Carnivant, Aug 10, 2024.

1. Carnivant

Carnivant Active Member

Hello!

I recently acquired this wicker basket at a thrift store. Never bought a basket before, but this one looked like it could be something decent (and at only two dollars, why not?). It is approximately 7 inches across at the top and very sturdy. Also has some nice braiding along the edges.

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated. :)

20240810_140425.jpg 20240810_140431.jpg 20240810_140439.jpg 20240810_140524.jpg 20240810_140448.jpg 20240810_140519.jpg 20240810_140500.jpg

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

3. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

It looks like a pine needle basket to me, but I don't know the who, when or where.
    EDIT: after a second look and remembering to click the pictures to full size, it looks more like bundled straw then pine needles.

Carnivant likes this.
  4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Where are you located, @Carnivant? Although baskets can travel quite far, it might be a clue as to this one's origin.

I don't recognize it off hand, but it does not look like a recent type made for export. Coiled straw, stitched with a split material that I can't identify. It is interesting how the stitching element is reversed to create the design - dark exterior surface, with the lighter color created by the split face. The rim treatment would be described as a herringbone/false braid stitch.

I will have to puzzle over this one for awhile.

Potteryplease, komokwa and Carnivant like this.
  5. Carnivant

Carnivant Active Member

Thank you all for the comments!

This was acquired in Saskatchewan, Canada, if that is any help at all. :)

2manybooks likes this.
  6. 2manybooks

Carnivant, Potteryplease and komokwa like this.
  7. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

The first thing one looks at in determining where a basket was made, is the material used in the construction. This doesn't appear to be pine needles, there is too much variation in diameter of the strands. I would agree that it is probably a type of straw or grass.

Secondly, what one looks for is the start, and rim finish. The braided herringbone rim is usually associated with Pakistani baskets on the market, especially since they usually are based on Native American Indian baskets, and often mistaken for them. And they use a bundled-straw coiling technique.

I personally have never come across a basket exactly like these, but the fact that two nearly identical baskets were found, is concerning, to say the least. It's often a case of well-planned, and extensive, marketing experience.

I would assume it's an import, probably from Pakistan, made to resemble an African, or Native American, basket. And as to the South Carolina reference, where a basket is found, or purchased, seldom means it was made there. But for a couple dollars, it would be hard to pass up!

8. Carnivant

Carnivant Active Member

That one definitely looks very close to mine.

That makes sense. And if the above link is correct on when it was purchased, I guess that would make it a 1980s import from Pakistan.

Thank you very much for all your help, both of you!

Any Jewelry and Potteryplease like this.
  9. 2manybooks

I would not identify it as Pakistani. Their baskets are, more typically, closely stitched so that the coil bundle is not exposed. They also use date palm leaves as the stitching element, which this does not appear to be. If this type of basket was imported in the 80s, I would expect to be able to find more examples.

It has more in common with a European tradition of coiled rye straw baskets made for holding bread dough as it was rising, such as these French examples, where the dark stitching element is identified as split bramble (blackberry canes) -

upload_2024-8-12_10-17-18.png
    https://canvasandcargo.com/products/french-coiled-rye-basket

The tradition came over with German immigrants to Pennsylvania, where they used more oak or ash splints for stitching as these were more commonly prepared for use in other types of baskets -

upload_2024-8-12_10-24-19.png
    https://www.zsinta.com/products/ant...aw-open-basket-11-inch?variant=40628260143171

The anomalous features on yours are the reversal of the stitching elements to create a design, and the treatment of the rim. The herringbone/false braid technique does appear in other traditions. But I have not yet found a well documented example that combines all of the features of your basket.

10. Carnivant

Carnivant Active Member

Those rye baskets definitely do appear similar... but I've also not been able to find one with the braiding. I guess the search continues then. x)

2manybooks likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted