Featured Why I Always Look Closely at Auction Lots of Crappy Baskets

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by 2manybooks, Jan 19, 2024.

1. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Beloit Auction basket lot with river cane basket.jpg
    This was the auction lot, as posted. All but one are unremarkable imports.

This is the one that caught my eye - a Choctaw basket made of rivercane. It is unusual to find one with the lid still (mostly) attached.

Choctaw basket with lid - 2 - smaller.jpg

Choctaw basket with lid - smaller.jpg

Choctaw basket with lid - 3 - smaller.jpg

I rather like the retrofit/repair using a cufflink for the catch for the closure loop -

Choctaw basket with lid - cuff link - smaller.jpg

I was quite happy to pay $35.00 for the lot. :)

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Well done! I would never ever have spotted that.

Debora

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

and an older Choctaw at that..... with nice size...and good color remaining....

when I go into my local 2nd hand store.......1st place I visit is the basket isle...

still looking for a Chitimacha to be sitting there !!!:hilarious::hungry::hungry:

nice find 2mb...;)

4. 2manybooks

I do the same. I have found a nice old Navajo/Paiute wedding basket at the Goodwill once, just sitting in the pile on the shelf. Some little Tarahumara pieces. And two older Hopi plaques at a little junk shop. Just enough to keep me checking.

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't even have known to look. Might have known it was old, but the best I ever find are Longabergers. Need to learn enough to let real basketry "sing" at me.

Bronwen, Potteryplease and 2manybooks like this.
  6. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

I have gotten extremely lucky at finding great old baskets. I think most people just can't tell the difference. Got a child's berry basket one time for something under $2.00 and sold it for $80. I'm researching one right now - I believe to be 1880 Ikebana which I purchased for $1.25... if I can figure out a few things it may go for big bucks! I love baskets, but I usually don't keep the old ones unless they are very functional and intact... as I use them.
    Leslie

Figtree3, Bronwen, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Wouldn't be surprised if your under-bidder was not after the tray and older basket on the left. You might have offered to sell them any they were interested in to cut your cost. I have employed this technique quite successfully when after something obscure in a lot.

I always look at baskets at the thrift stores. 99 times out of 100, there is nothing. Every now and then I will find something worth purchasing. I would not have recognized this basket as being NA.

8. 2manybooks

I do often sell the "lesser" items in a lot at our mall booth - usually is enough to pay for my investment.

9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I must say, this has to be the first time I have ever seen you use the word "crappy." :rolleyes::hilarious:

Bronwen and Potteryplease like this.
  10. evelyb30

The tray Brad saw is straight out of the 30s/40s. They were craft kit items. If it's intact throw it in the mall for a fair price and most likely pay the freight for the one you were after.

Bronwen and 2manybooks like this.
  11. 2manybooks

:hilarious: when the shoe fits........

Potteryplease, Bakersgma and Bronwen like this.
  12. evelyb30

Throw it in a basket!

Bronwen and 2manybooks like this.
  13. 2manybooks

Good information. Thank you.

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted