Why didn't I Get these?!?! 2 Marcel Dyf paintings!

Discussion in 'Art' started by Armando0831, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Armando0831

Armando0831 Well-Known Member

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg What was I thinking?!?! I seen these earlier and knew that they were really well done paintings. My phone was down to 3% so I didn't want to kill my phone by searching. If I remember CORRECTLY, these were ONLY $25 a piece!!

When I got home, I forgot all about them and when I was going through pics of what I liked and wanted to do more research on, I seen these pics of the paintings. I did a quick search and realized I messed up, BIG time!!

I was already in more comfy clothes and made a mad dash to my room and changed in record speed. My kids thought I was going crazy!

I got back to where I had found these and they were closed. Business was slow for them, as I was the only customer they had in 2 hrs. I called them and left a message saying I wanted to buy them for my wife as a Christmas gift and asked if they could set them to the side and I will get them tomorrow. I WONT BE ABLE TO SLEEP!!!

Someone KICK me where the sun don't shine!!

I'm a nervous wreck right now. I should of taken a pic of the price tags, hopefully he doesn't decide to look up the name and not want to sell or jack up the price!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  2. Armando0831

Ok, after settling down from possibly finding a really good deal, I do realize that his paintings are very collectible and that business offer reproductions of his paintings in print and oil on canvas. I am taking in account that these could be reproductions. I'm hoping they aren't.

3. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Whew! You had me worried there for a moment, Armando!

Armando0831 likes this.
  4. Armando0831

If they are $25 like I remember, I'll take the chance on them being originals. Wish I could take these to a gallery before deciding to purchase.

5. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

6. Armando0831

7. Alec Sutton

Alec Sutton Active Member

Armando,

Based upon this and other of your posts may I respectfully recommend that you visit some museums, shops and galleries.

Compare correctly identified works in different media, from inexpensive reproductions to valuable paintings. Bring a magnifying glass. Examine closely. Make notes.

Gradually you'll learn to tell on sight if a work is a repro or original and the precise medium...eventually the age and much more. Not terribly difficult to do, but requires methodical practice like any other skill.

The Dyfs, by the way, are enhanced repros.

8. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

Alec has given the best advice to date. I would also add that your best investment would be a library of books on 19th and 20th Century art so that you can familiarize yourself with major art movements, etc.

Armando0831 likes this.
  9. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Joe, have been aching to comment on your art purchases, but what you do with your money is really no one's business but your own, however, with the two very well-advised posts above, will just go ahead and add my two-cents. Your choices are all over the place - most collectors, regardless of their interests, start out with some questionable pieces, learning to cull over time (usually mumbling to themselves, "why on Earth did I buy this dreck?"), but if you're really trying to build a collection worth passing on to your daughters, would seem wiser to study, as suggested, both actual artwork and books on art (most libraries are filled with art books). As you study and learn, your tastes and your 'eye' will develop, you'll find direction as well as a feel for value, and then you can build a true collection rather than just a bunch of random pieces. Again, not really any of my business, but you do keep posting the stuff. ;)

~Cheryl

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
    spirit-of-shiloh and Armando0831 like this.
  10. Armando0831

I do appreciate your comments. I guess with all this overtime I'm getting, it wouldn't hurt to buy a few books. I know, I really need to go to some museums and galleries.

Hang on, I'm doing exactly what I WAS doing with my baseball card collection.

I would buy a boxes upon boxes and only find a few that were worth a dang. After blowing all sorts of money on a ton of cards, I finally realized one day that I had more JUNK cards than ones that worth money. I woke up and realized that I'm mainly interested in Mantles,Aaron's,Ruth, so on and so forth.

I stopped buying boxes of random cards and saved the money till I had enough to get that Babe Ruth card I always wanted.

I believe that's the same method I need here on collecting art. Find a particular artist or two and concentrate on just their works. Study and know what mediums the use, canvas, board or whatever. Study what technique they used, etc. It would eliminate a lot of art being collected, but would ensure proper purchases on the artist in which I've chosen to study about.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
    spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  11. Mark London

Also, things that have value today might be worthless tomorrow and vice versa so think less about any investment potential and just buy things you like and consider them an investment in pleasure.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  12. Mark London

Oops sorry for the cross post!

13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Alec writes...."Based upon this and other of your posts may I respectfully recommend that you visit some museums, shops and galleries."

Yes, over time that is is highly recommended for that hands on up close and personal addition to you understanding of collectable art work...but this is almost 2015.....so my recommendation is for starters get yourself on as many fine art online auction houses as you can. With each new auction , and searching past auctions , you'll build up a database of names , their styles, values of actual sold works, and you'll hone your eye while sitting in your shorts drinking coffee in the comfort of your own home .
    As for books ....which I still believe in ......past auction catalogs are a wealth of information & can be obtained without the expense of large coffee table art books.

14. kentworld

Well, if you have a library near you, look in the art section and browse some books on art history. You have a computer and many of the great museums have websites with virtual galleries on them. Not as good as seeing the real thing, but probably worth the time and doesn't cost you anything. And yes, seeing what Christies, Sothebys, Bonhams, et al offer is also good free education.

I agree with the others. Buy what you like, dispose of what you don't like already. Your taste will change -- just as it did with the baseball cards. But as for investment -- who can predict the future?

Armando0831 and komokwa like this.
  15. kentworld

Don't we all just love giving advice, LOL! But, I've got a basement full of carp that I should dispose of -- I should take my own advice! :D

Armando0831 and spirit-of-shiloh like this.
  16. komokwa

even the best collectors have room full of mistakes !!

17. komokwa

& with Armando's multitude of posts.....seasoned collectors & dealers were bound to offer up suggestions ....at some point.
    We all want nothing but the best for him......as we do for each other !
    Am I wrong ?

18. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

I have collected myriad items,then through the months and years what I thought was a scarce item I had purchased, I found its twins and triplets. :( Now I have a few bins with castoffs.
    It does help to have a few "OOPS" in hand to compare to the truly nice pieces. :cat:

Komokwa.no you are not wrong. This is a great place to get critique,advice,etc. :)

Armando0831 likes this.
  19. Armando0831

With all sincerity, I do appreciate each and every advice and suggestions. I knew that some of the art I have were reproductions and such. It's nice to have a friendly group of individuals like you all to offer your help on guiding me down this path that I'm about to go down.

If it weren't for everyone's comments, straight forward or gentle, I probably would of kept on, not realizing that I was repeating my past but this time with paintings.

Again, thank you all for everything that you said. I will try my best to study up on fine art and to destuinguish the differences. Don't get me wrong, I'll probably strike out a few times. Even Babe Ruth didn't hit homers every time.

20. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

Even repos and copies are nice to display and enjoy, gosh knows I have a few ;)
    Its when you plan to resell or buy for investiment, you must take into condiderstion what it "is" and is "not" purported, thats where knowledge and research comes in .;).

Draft saved Draft deleted