Who is this Guy...

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by 'Nuff_Said, Sep 25, 2014.

1. 'Nuff_Said

'Nuff_Said Well-Known Member

...clutching a chalice and seated in a winged chariot?

UNKNOWN 001-002.jpg

Thanks for your time and help.

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  2. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

3. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I find that if you visualise anyone on throne as actually being on a commode it kinda brings them down to earth.

That's Jahweh on his field battle potty.

4. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Did the dudes really have that freaky of beards back then?

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  5. 'Nuff_Said

Thanks guys for your replies and link.

And Terry, as far as the beards, it appears so.

6. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Think Assyrian cornrows.

You could afford the time to have it done and some servant to do it.

It was the flash suit or heavy gold watch of the day.

7. 'Nuff_Said

His manservant appears to have a broken tail...

UNKNOWN 004-001.jpg

say_it_slowly likes this.
  8. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

I don't know, I wasn't there. I may be old, but at this moment not that old! Like af, when I see these types of beards depicted, I also think of Assyrians, Babylonians, Nebuchadnezzar (sp?), the Mesopotamia corner of the world dudes.

--- Susan

9. Tauriel

Tauriel Active Member

You might want to look at the Anunnaki....

10. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

11. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

This is the greek god Dionysos holding a Kantharos, his companion is a Satyr.
    Mat

12. 'Nuff_Said

Thank you!

Those figures (Dionysos, Satyr and a couple others) are carved into a bronze vessel in almost this same exact form:

LEBES.jpg

13. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

that sounds interesting, do you have a picture of the whole item? Dionysos is shown rarely on a winged chariot, but there exist images with this iconography. The vessel you show is called lebes gamikos and played o role in ancient Greek weddings. However I never saw one in bronze...
    Mat

14. 'Nuff_Said

Thank you.

The images below aren't of the best quality, but you can pretty much get an idea of what's there. The figures and floral designs are hand-rendered in high & low relief, you can see the tool marks and cross hatching in the second image (reminds me a bit of the fine Japanese metalwork of the 19th C. and earlier).

The condition isn't the best (couple pieces missing, base busted and drilled, probably once used as a lighting source), but overall it's in pretty good shape for its age (probably 19th C.?). Probably made after a bookplate image or piece held in some museum collection.

VESSEL 001-001.JPG VESSEL 002-001.JPG VESSEL 003-001.JPG

15. 'Nuff_Said

Oh! And welcome to the board.

I see you have some interest in Asian ceramics?

Your thoughts on this café-au-lait glazed piece with sepia decorated landscape interior?

CAFE 001.jpg CAFE 002.jpg CAFE 003.jpg

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  16. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Hmm, I do not really know what to think about that. And also I am far from calling myself an expert! ;) However, considering the shape this could be a censer? Is the sepia landsape done under the glaze (on the photos it looks like that)? I am not sure if this is café-au-lait, which is usually a lighter brown.

17. 'Nuff_Said

The same here (no expert). I too was thinking large porcelain censer or brush washer. The sepia and greyish-green celadon wash are underglazed within the interior. A café-au-lait glaze can be light, medium or dark brown as seen in this example here: http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/...lait-glazed-bowl-guangxu-5389497-details.aspx

Draft saved Draft deleted