Who is this deity?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Earl Brill, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Earl Brill

Earl Brill Member

Here is a Luristan Dev/God statue, probably from 1000BC. Can someone identify the character? Thanks.

Attached Files:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Pinging @Any Jewelry in case this slips through the cracks...

Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

No, I don't think so.

4. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

5. Earl Brill

Earl Brill Member

6. flipper

Okay, then, how about Kusarikku- The Persian figure from Iran?
    [​IMG]

Christmasjoy and Earl Brill like this.
  7. flipper

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    Christmasjoy and Earl Brill like this.
  8. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

9. Earl Brill

Earl Brill Member

Kusarikku was what I thought, but he is a half-man half-bull, often depicted with hoofed hands (when they are not missing). Is it possible that this is a fake?

antidiem and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. flipper

I think it's possible...what is it constructed with, anyway? I looks like mortar and hair? Seriously, what is it? If he's supposed to have hoof hands, it could be someone's attempt to make"not"hands? The access material between his legs does not seem to have a purpose, either? But I cannot help but notice the position of the figure itself, it's arms, its straight on posture/appearance, the "curly" hair?

11. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

He doesn't look like a Luristan bronze, which seem to have mostly been decorative parts of useful objects - harnesses, pins, finials and so forth - not stand alone figurines. With no written records from the original culture, any identification of a particular deity would be speculation.

Figtree3, kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. Couch Potato Wannabe

Couch Potato Wannabe Well-Known Member

Can we see a shot from behind the statue? Does he have a tail that we see partially sticking out there on the side view?

If you have a close up look at his feet and lower legs, are they depicted as human or animal? As there is the God called Pan in ancient greek religion and mythology.
    He has the hindquarters, legs, and horns of a goat, in the same manner as a faun or satyr, though various depictions of Pan display a vast array of different styles of horns.

13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

A cute souvenir replica from Cyprus of the Enkomi Horned God. The verdigris is not natural but the result of an acid bath.

The original one, in the Cyprus Museum in Nicosia:

[​IMG]
    https://www.livius.org/pictures/cyprus/enkomi/enkomi-ashlar-building-horned-god/

Your Enkomi Horned God replica:
    [​IMG]

Info on Bronze Age Cyprus:
    https://www.livius.org/articles/place/cyprus/

As you can see in the article, Enkomi had extensive trade contacts with Egypt, the Middle East, and Asia Minor. It is thought the Horned God was a Middle Eastern import.
    The Greeks came on the scene after the period of the statue, and thought he was a local version of Apollo. They called it Appollo Alasiotis, after Alashiya, a Bornze Age state on Cyprus which may have included Enkomi.

Just to avoid confusion, or add to it::playful:
    Cyprus is an independent nation albeit with a complicated situation. This little guy was found in what is now the self-proclaimed 'Turkish Republic of North Cyprus', but his current home is in Nicosia, the capital of Cyprus proper.

@Ownedbybear have you been to Cyprus, if so have you come across similar souvenirs?:)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  14. Any Jewelry

Luristan did make some stand alone figurines, but they look very different from this little fellow.
    Anyway, the way the verdigris looks, this one is not an archaeological find.

15. Any Jewelry

16. Earl Brill

Earl Brill Member

That's the back side. It seems like a tail, although it connects weirdly.

Attached Files:

17. Couch Potato Wannabe

Couch Potato Wannabe Well-Known Member

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  18. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

19. flipper

My first post referenced the Cyprus deity on the link.
    The second set of examples are from the region Earl is referring to and they had a lot of bronzes. However, like AJ reiterated, the pose and all look like the Enkomi guy turned Apollo...The feet definitely look human, the hands :confused:...
    And now, seeing the back side? That excess material is even stranger...I never did find out what the item was made from?

And there are a tone of examples on the Google images search I did
    https://www.google.com/search?q=HOR...VDKKwKHdbaDREQ_AUoAXoECAwQAw&biw=1093&bih=526

Draft saved Draft deleted