White Porcelain Cherubs Holding Compote Meissen?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by simulant, Dec 17, 2023.

1. simulant

simulant Member

Please help identify this compote! Good enough quality to be Meissen or no? Will let the experts decide :) Thanks as always!

IMG_2343.jpg

IMG_2348.jpg

IMG_2347.jpg

IMG_2346.jpg

IMG_2349.jpg

IMG_2344.jpg

IMG_2345.jpg

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  2. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

With those perforations, I'm not sure it should be called a compote/comport? More like some kind of centerpiece bowl, IMHO.
    It doesn't appear as finely made as true Meissen, and the mark doesn't look right... to my inexperienced eye.
    I'm looking forward to the opinions of others here, so I can learn something, too. :)

aaroncab, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Given all the little holes I doubt it would work as a compote. More likely a potpourri.

judy, Any Jewelry and simulant like this.
  4. sassafras

sassafras Well-Known Member

The details aren't sharp enough to be Meissen for my liking.

5. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

The crossed swords mark is wrong, but it could be another German factory. I can't recall it unfortunately.

aaroncab, simulant, judy and 2 others like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The swords look printed instead of hand-painted; that alone would make me dubious.

aaroncab, simulant and judy like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I'm with the others, not the finesse of Meissen.
    I also think it is for potpourri.

aaroncab, simulant and judy like this.
  8. simulant

simulant Member

Thank you everyone! Had my doubts as well, but still a nice piece overall I think.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Wouldn't potpourri bits fall through those holes? And why would holes even be necessary for an open potpourri holder?
    It may just be some sort of decorative coffee table item. A few round gold and silver Christmas baubles would look fab in it!

simulant and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Chris Marshall

Chris Marshall Well-Known Member

1970s Made in Macao for a US design retailer which shuttered in 2014.

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Possibly. I was thinking of the rose leaf potpourri my mother used to have.

If it has a function other than decorative, it would have to be something that doesn't need to be scooped out, given the way the top curves in. It doesn't really have the finesse to be purely decorative, but maybe I'm overthinking it.:confused:;)

bluumz and Bakersgma like this.
  12. kentworld

Cool. Asian was my other thought, but I would've said Japan rather than Macao.

13. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I don't doubt your info but can you share the source so we can learn more? Thanks!

14. Chris Marshall

Chris Marshall Well-Known Member

Not yet. I don't want to ruin one of my featured additions for my website's 20th on Feb 1st :)

Figtree3, komokwa, kentworld and 2 others like this.
  15. kentworld

Congrats on the upcoming 20th anniversary Chris!

komokwa likes this.
  16. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I didn't know you had a website. :)
    How about a link to the current one?

komokwa likes this.
  17. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted