Where to list? 1980's GLASS Tiffany & Co The New Yorker mag. commendation piece

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lucille.b, Sep 13, 2021.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Hi all, hope your week is starting out well.

I posted this under finds, it is a commendation piece for someone who worked for 20 years in Manhattan at the New Yorker magazine. From the 60's through the 80s. Basically a square glass cube with the New Yorker logo and the dates, also stamped Tiffany & CO.

I have to think that some New Yorker magazine fan would be interested in this, but cannot find anything similar online and not sure what category to list this on Ebay. I even wondered, maybe if I should even try for a New York auction, although value probably won't make the cut. It just seems like it has the potential to get lost on Ebay, since probably most people don't know this kind of piece even exists.

Thoughts? Thanks.

cube5.jpg

cube4.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

What does it read?

Debora

Lucille.b likes this.
  3. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

I would still try ebay. There are probably some out there just no one is selling theirs right now. I would try the glass category and sew what happens

pearlsnblume, *crs* and Lucille.b like this.
  4. Lucille.b

It just shows a date span of 20 years Jan 29 1962 - Jan 29 1982. (Plus the NY logo and Tiffany stamp.)

Doing some research, I googled the house where I got it, found the owner, then googled his name but it didn't come up with any New Yorker connection. I have no reason to believe it isn't valid. The handsome couple were in their 80's in an expensive house, moving to be near their son in a month so getting rid of stuff. The wife just said, "Oh they lived in Manhattan and her husband got this for his work at the New Yorker for twenty years. I only mention this that her husband wasn't a household name, so not sure what he did at the magazine. (Maybe I should have asked!) In any case I have his name.

5. Joe in PA

Joe in PA Well-Known Member

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

There's no reason why it wouldn't be genuine. Would have come from the corporate gift department at Tiffany's, not the retail side. Given dates, likely a retirement gift. I'm not sure where the collector interest would lie.

Debora

Lucille.b and Bakersgma like this.
  7. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Can you show it against a dark background? I am having trouble seeing the logo. Is it the New Yorker logo? Are they still using the same logo?

I think it would be odd if it was a retirement gift because it is exactly 20 years. To me, that would be some type of anniversary of a company for instance.

Lucille.b likes this.
  8. Lucille.b

Thanks for the suggestion. Turns out I have better photos. Was just hesitating posting the better photos w/exact dates here (not sure why... over thinking, maybe.) The auction will have those better photos. But this was one of the hardest things to photograph.

We'll see if there is interest. Maybe for the NY person who "has everything", lol? Thinking someone in Manhattan may want it as a historical paperweight.

I think I found 2 good categories. Will use both. "Tiffany glass" and "Magazines".

Won't be listing for a few days and still trying to decide whether to shoot for the moon with some high BIN and take offers or actually do an auction with my happy price opening bid.

bercrystal likes this.
  9. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I also think it's probably a 20 year service anniversary gift. Where I used to work, we received a doo-dad every 5 years and they were better items the longer you worked there. At least until toward the end of when I was there. When I hit my 25th anniversary I received a service for 12 of some rather cheap stainless steel flatware. Versus my mom who received a grandfather clock on her 25th (she worked at the same company).

Lucille.b and bercrystal like this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That makes more sense than a retirement gift. Thank you.

Debora

Lucille.b and bercrystal like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted