Featured Where I went today - 2 estate sales

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by evelyb30, Aug 23, 2024.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

https://www.estatesales.net/CT/Bloomfield/06002/4196772

This was the second one. Working class neighborhood, two bedroom house with outer stairs in poor repair. I wasn't holding out much hope and went there second. Spent $15 on four pieces of Indonesian batik. The homeowners were teachers at my high school. The clock was the only good thing I saw in the photos, and gone when I got there. They had over $100 on the brass flatware, but it was in scrap metal condition. Water damage. $15 on the brass hunting dog bookends (couldn't lift them - over my weight limit) ..but $40 on the Murano bowl that brings about that retail.

https://www.estatesales.net/CT/Farmington/06032/4191978

The advertised jewelry, so I made sure to get there early. Spent $15, so barely worth the effort. The person running the sale took out all the good stuff before the sale , I think. Spent $5 I shouldn't have on two rings that turned out to be OK costume, but that's it. It was all outside; I got there well before it started and the line was minimal. Closer to me I'd have been number 15 in line, but at this I was first...for all the good it did. The dealers all bailed on this one - all went to another town, or knew something I didn't. The sale was a fundraiser in memory of a police officer and a K9 officer, otherwise I wouldn't have been there at all.

They had a little Wedgwood dish with an $8 price tag. Not horrible, but I wasn't paying it. (not after scoring a white body pitcher, absconded with by my sister, for a whole dollar I wasn't.) I think again at this sale that anything good was gone before we punters were allowed in.

2. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I wonder if the bunny shown in one of the photos was by Lefton. Hard to tell the details Those are always great sellers at Easter time.

Looked again, I don't think it is a Lefton

Last edited: Aug 23, 2024
    Figtree3 and Ghopper1924 like this.
  3. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Thanks, that was fun. I would have scored the Globe bookcase and walnut table in the second sale.

Figtree3 and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

So, uh, what were the Boston Police "beacons" priced at?

Figtree3 likes this.
  5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I saw a few things in the first one I wouldnt say no to. I liked those brass African animals and some of the art work. I didnt see anything in the 2nd one. I agree,it looks oddly sparse.

6. evelyb30

The animals were still there; I think they were napkin rings, but not very well made. The castings were far cruder than the African ones I've seen. There's primitive and there's badly done; these were the latter.

It wasn't. I wasn't even totally convinced it was glass!

Can't say I even looked. If they'd been railroad lanterns I'd have eyeballed them but good. Still there when I left too, so either no one was interested or they were really overpriced for what they were.

7. evelyb30

They wished you were there!

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  8. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

There are a few sold records with prices from $375 to $495. That's for one. Might be worth going back to see. *shrug*

pearlsnblume likes this.
  9. evelyb30

Too late now.(sigh) I hope, if they were real, someone made off with them. If I'd bought them they would have been copies.

mirana and pearlsnblume like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted