Where Can I Find the Best Antique and Vintage Diamond Rings?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by esenlee, Aug 26, 2024.

1. esenlee

esenlee New Member

I adore vintage and antique diamond rings. I’m curious if anyone knows where to find the best ones, especially here in Canada. I’ve been on the lookout for a ring that has that timeless, classic feel, something truly unique. I checked out DiamondNet and DiamondFactory, and while they have some beautiful pieces, I noticed they don’t have a huge selection of vintage options. I’d love to hear your recommendations if you know of any other great places to find antique or vintage diamond rings!

johnnycb09 likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'd forget online...., and find brick & mortar stores that deal in antique & vintage jewelry.

Do the leg work !

Birks downtown used to have an antique section for jewelry...... and we have a few dealers in Westmount that offer a wide selection of older rings.

but if u can't visit Montreal.....then online could be good for a start...

https://daisyexclusive.com/collections/rings
    ( I have no vested interest in this business..)

BTW........ CANADA.... is a big place !

https://coachluxury.com/collections/high-jewelry or this one....

just offering options

mirana, Marote and johnnycb09 like this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Eragem is an American website. They ship to Canada and sell vintage and antique jewelry along with modern pieces. I'd definitely start with antique stores and real brick and mortar jewlers with Estate cases. If you're somewhere in Canada where that isn't an option, then go to the websites.

Marote, komokwa and johnnycb09 like this.
  4. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Sometimes you get lucky looking through pawn shop inventory.......

Marote, komokwa and johnnycb09 like this.
  5. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Second the suggestion of local is best if you can. A jeweler that does estate jewelry is a good bet. You might have to go to a nearby city if you're not in one currently.

If you're most interested in the look, you can also inquire about having a custom piece made for you to match or be influenced by another piece you like but can't purchase. It has the added bonus of possibly being a studier piece if it going to be worn regularly, as may be the case if it was an engagement or wedding piece.

komokwa likes this.
  6. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

There are many variations in styles,Hugo Kohl in Virginia has a wide number of pieces made with original antique dies.Knowing the style you are looking for can help in your search..... https://hugokohl.com/

mirana likes this.
  7. komokwa

ahhhh, but what exactly...are the best ones ?

rarely do you find diamond rings with the highest quality stones in them......

I put a vvs1 , g color , ideal cut , 3/4 carat into my 1st wife's engagement ring.....

I needn't have..... but it was such a fine stone that she used it.... for her 2nd husband's ring....... so she's still walking around with my diamond on her finger.

Bitch !

NanaB likes this.
  8. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Well, it was a gift, eh? :hilarious: (But I know what you mean.)

komokwa likes this.
  9. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Yeah, I second shopping local. You're looking for something that you won't know until you see it. We have a local store that buys gold and sells lots of diamond rings. And there are antique stores (sadly, few now, but some still around) that have good selections of antique/vintage jewelery. Looking is part of the fun, and then, one will speak to you and say, "Here I am!"

mirana and komokwa like this.
  10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Any large regional antique and collectibles shows/sales? Almost every large venue has some dealers who specialize in vintage jewelry. Prices are usually very competitive and dealers are willing to bargain. They have an impetus to sell since they are only going to be there a few days at most. Many have long-term relationships with the shows and are there month after month.

mirana, pearlsnblume and komokwa like this.
  11. evelyb30

I went to a community indoor tag sale once, and blind-lucked into a 1920s platinum filigree ring. The stone is a "brownie" rather than Golconda-white, but it's stashed away in case Mr Right ever shows up. Some of the old stones are off-color or have flaws, but they were supposed to. Things do turn up in odd corners, so it's worth looking.

mirana likes this.
  12. verybrad

Lots on ebay. Search was selected for natural diamond vintage rings. Others may slip though so read descriptions. Look for sellers with good reputations and return policies. Like any marketplace, buyer beware.

Diamond Ring in Rings for sale | eBay

pearlsnblume likes this.
  13. verybrad

14. evelyb30

Multi-karat diamonds bring a premium price.

komokwa likes this.
  15. komokwa

I don't see this as a quality stone... and that's what you're paying for here !!

16. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Come to London, loads of good places sell nice old diamonds.

17. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Just go to Antwerp, Belgium, the diamond capital of the world.

84% of the world's rough and 50% of cut pass through the city every year.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  18. verybrad

If you look at the certification card, you'll see the color is L-M. Off a bit but the clarity at VS-1 is good. I find it off-putting that there is no head-on shot of the stone.

19. komokwa

if u look around the web , u may find this,,,,,

Many EGL certifications are accompanied by an appraisal prepared by Universal Gemological Services (UGS), an affiliate of EGL-USA. We find the appraised value on these UGS documents to be greatly inflated which explains why they are used as a marketing tool by many jewelry stores.

Professional appraisers and jewelers provide these value assessments. In the jewelry industry, it's standard for appraisals to be inflated, usually at 100% above the retail value. In other words, the appraisal doesn't represent the true value of the diamond ring.

“The most reliable diamond certificates (also called diamond reports) come from the Gemological Institute of America (GIA) and the American Gem Society (AGS). These are the most respected labs, known for their accuracy and professionalism. These reports are not appraisals and do not carry valuations.

the Ebay ring states,,,,,,,
    An automatic GIA verification will be followed by eBay upon purchase.

I'd like to see that upfront....... for my $ 87,500 .. !!!!!!

20. komokwa

I find the cut to be top heavy , as well..

and the estimated retail replacement value is stated at $ 53,600 ..

that's a lot less than the asking price..!

Draft saved Draft deleted