Where can I buy this?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Ella Robinson, Jun 19, 2024.

1. Ella Robinson

Ella Robinson New Member

My grandmother’s garter has been ripped. I would like to replace the lace as a new generation is now getting married. I think it is from her mother’s wedding dress so I need the lace to be an exact match. I believe it was handmade but I could be wrong. If handmade does anyone know where I could commission a lacemaker to replace the lace? If machine-made any guesses on the pattern? HUGE thank you!!!

kb9n1rpr.jpg

2. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

3. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Beautiful-a worthy endeavor Ella.

4. Ella Robinson

Ella Robinson New Member

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You didn't say how long the tear is. Ripped usually means that all of the lace is still there, so you only need a minor repair.

I usually repair such minor damage using my own hair and a beading needle, a trick I learned from another lace collector. And it is the perfect way to have the same lace as the wedding dress.
    In this case you can use blonde or grey hair. Hair is so thin that the blonde colour won't stand out.
    Don't pull the needlework too tightly, just so much that it looks like the rest of the lace. Make sure you knot the ends tightly, hair is more likely to come loose than thread. Once you have a tight knot, it will stay in place forever.

Northern Lights Lodge likes this.
  6. Ella Robinson

Ella Robinson New Member

Excellent question. I would say the lace needs to be replaced, and not repaired.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

In that case it would be useful to know where you live. We have members from all over the world.

8. Ella Robinson

Ella Robinson New Member

9. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Hi Ella,
    Sorry I'm late to this party!
    It looks like a pretty very delicate piece!
    Your photo is very blurry... so I'm not certain...but it "looks" machine made from the blurry photo. It would be easier to identify the pattern if it was handmade; but a guess would be a "Bucks" design. A clear photo of the lace and the tear itself would be helpful.

The thread looks VERY fine and very silky. If I'm not mistaken, we are looking at a good size rip along the right hand side. Something to consider is: does it have dry rot?? Is the thread disintegrating as you pull on it gently?? If so, just sewing the lace back to itself; is probably not going to hold and would just re-fray itself again.

The pattern does look as if it "could" be replicated by a skilled lacemaker... but, it would certainly be spendy. If it is silk, that is very difficult to make with that size pattern...

Any jewelry's lace's suggestion is not a bad idea. However, there are some other suggestions to ponder. Hair has been used for decades to repair and make lace. It has some advantages by being very fine and you might even find a great color match. I find it difficult to anchor, however, and it tends to be springy, which would make it hard to get the thread to lay flat on the lace without pulling too tight.

Again it would depend on the tear, but you do say that you'd want it to match Grandmother's lace exactly... if the original IS repairable... it would be much easier to mend (rather than ordering a new piece) and you'd be using Grandma's original.

Here is my suggestion... If it were mine, I would find some very, very fine, sheer, silk gauze or very fine silk netting in a similar color. I'd very carefully remove the entire piece of lace from the fabric/elastic part of the garter. I'd flatten the lace and square it up as carefully as possible and finger press it. Fragile as it is, I don't believe that I'd iron it. But, on a flat waterproof surface (on cotton covered styrofoam), you could spread it out, LIGHTLY spritz with water, finger press and even pin in a few places to straighten it out a little. Don't tax the lace by pinning in a way that would add too much tension to the lace... just enough to have it keep from curling and keep the edges somewhat straight. After it is completely dry...

Then I'd cut a piece long enough to go under the entire length of the lace. Give yourself extra on the top edge. Before lace attachment, I'd hand hem the bottom edge of the gauze backing.

Then, I'd very carefully hand stitch (using little whip stitches and a very fine silk thread) the gauze/netting to the fabric part of the garter. Taking care to go all the way around the perimeter of the lace AND the entire perimeter of the tear. It may be possible to do a few whip stitches to join the tear - but if it is all stitched around the perimeter of the tear, that may not be necessary.

After that is done - sew the two ends together and reattach (with hand stitching) the reinforced lace to the fabric/elastic garter.

I feel like the textile is silk, not synthetic... but if possible I'd use a silk backing rather than polyester - cotton would work; but I think it would be impossible to find something fine enough.

If you don't feel up to a fine sewing job...a skilled alterations person who also does handwork (rebeading, veilwork and lace repair) should be able to do the job. Perhaps she has an idea that might work also.

As for trying to find a lacemaker to rework the lace. It is a bigger task than you might realize as, first, she'd have to be willing. Then she'd have to draft the pattern...find appropriate thread, and there is probably at least a 1/2 yard that she'd have to produce. Bear in mind that most lacers work approximately an inch an hour and it can take longer if she has to work out the stitches. And of course, finding someone who is willing to take on the project might be difficult. Most lacers have projects "in progress" and may not wish to take on something that isn't their own.

I'd vote for trying to repair what you have...especially since you mention that it is emotionally important for it to be your Grandmother's.

A secondary suggestion would be to use a soft silk ribbon backing. You might even wash it first so that it takes the sizing out. That might be easier for you (or anyone) to work. If the lace is as fragile as it appears....that could be a good choice as it would be much firmer to work with! That said you could probably baste it all down first and then whip the lace on.

You could either try to match the ribbon with the lace color... or choose a contrast color that might be appropriate to the bride's colors.

If you go that route... it is the same basic idea as backing it with the gauze... choose a ribbon that is wide enough to have something to reattach to the garter.

I have one more suggestion for you. Since I can't see the entire issue and don't know how far gone the lace is... perhaps this would work. Make or purchase a new satin fabric garter. If you wish, find one with the same color lace as your grandmothers. THEN, utilizing the lace you have left from Grandmother's ... roll it up and make a rose, or several roses and attach them to the garter as a decoration. You can use a pearl center. Make a couple small green satin ribbon leaves to put under the lace rose... you could even make a special box for it which would have Grandma's own wedding history included. I've also seen special charms hanging from the rose decor. Going this route would be an advantage, especially if the lace is really fragile - as it would be stronger fashioned into a flower. You could practice with store bought lace and then when you have made one you like from store bought; move on to Grandmother's!

We've given you a lot to digest! Please feel like you can ask me questions! Or any of us!

Good luck and let us know what you decide! We'd love to see your finished product!

Cheerio,
    Leslie

Draft saved Draft deleted