Featured When was brass first lacquered?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by john.c.conrad, Oct 7, 2017.

1. john.c.conrad

john.c.conrad Member

I posted this picture in another thread. No one was able to identify it, but after some Googling it looks Italian to me. I don't know the age but I do know it is lacquered bronze.

When did people begin to lacquer bronze?

Attached Files:

2. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Hi, John, and welcome!

I don't know the answer to your question re: the actual date that brass was first lacquered, but there's a book called The Early History of Brass and the Brass Manufactures of Birmingham ... by WC Aitken, Martin Billing, Son, and Company, dated 1866, that talks about the lacquering process.

You can access it on Google Books.

3. opoe

opoe Well-Known Member

I have a thing for candelabras, especially of this type, though I do not know enough about them to help you. These are beautiful, I think, late 19th century ones, wasn't there an ornate mantel clock accompanying these two? They could be italian but more likely french, hard to tell.

4. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome!

Please go back to edit and use the full image button for all your photos up to 10 per post and always do this.

Thank you. :)

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi and WELCOME, John!! I don't think I posted this for you before, and if I did, I apologize, but visuals always help me, so am posting in that vein!!! Good luck!!

zTutorialForIMAGES2.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  6. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

My kingdom for FI as default. :( :p

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Well, we both use it now.....so it gets posted often enough!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  8. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

I have no idea when it was FIRST lacquered, but I know that my folks had a mantle garniture that was "sent out" to be polished yearly - until the 1960s when Mother discovered that you could have it lacquered..................wasn't polished again before it was sold in the 1990s...............

Ghopper1924 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted