Whatzit bronze Pygmy dumbbell thing

Discussion in 'Tools' started by springfld.arsenal, Nov 12, 2016.

1. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

15.6 oz, 2 3/4" long, about 1.6" dia. Came with some others identical in a load of misc stuff from a US Dept of Defense Ordnance activity. It was either cast and then machined or was machined from a solid round bar. The small flat areas are at each 90 degrees around the two large diameters. IHNI.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
    KingofThings and lauragarnet like this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I've seen the same or similar objects but at a loss as to use.

3. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

My memory SAYS it is for attaching 2 items/pieces together, sort of like a cuff link, but for a more industrial purpose (tarp, boat cover, etc.)

What my memory KNOWS is another story all together..............

KingofThings likes this.
  4. springfld.arsenal

Good Mansons, starting with your thought somehow I got here.
    [​IMG]
    The carrier aircraft hold-backs still look like the fig 7 drawing but are over 5" long. The little one I have could be same kind of thing but for a guided missile or whatever. ??

KingofThings likes this.
  5. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

I wish that it was possible to follow other persons thought processes.....

In any case, I'm glad you got to where you are!

KingofThings likes this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'd say a paper weight...

KingofThings likes this.
  7. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I've been around these and have one but seriously doubt the use of the others. They may only bend or at least resist an aircraft launch too much though they could be melted by a rocket.

8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Very tiny person's barbell????? (NO disrespect meant!)

Sorry, I hadn't even read the heading of the post......I just merrily click along in my email:banhappy::banhappy::banghead:

9. springfld.arsenal

I did some lookups and figgerin' to see if it would work for say a Navy trainable guided missile launcher aboard a warship. The long shank will break in tension over a range of tensions depending on the exact bronze alloy used, but I picked one with a mid-range tensile strength of 40,000 psi. Since the x-sec area of the shank is 0.194 square inches, breaking load in tension would be Somewhere around 7760 lbs.

The two older Navy guided missiles for which booster thrust figures are available are Talos and Terrier, with 111k and 59k lbs. respectively. All that tells me is that if the missile booster functions correctly there is a 100% probability that the much weaker bronze shank will snap apart and release the missile, which is what the ship's captain wants of course.

But all this mumbo-jumbo doesn't prove that's what the dumbbell is, it just means it could be used that way on those two systems. The corrosion resistance of bronze is a good thing for any Navy deck-mounted items such as the now-obsolete trainable launchers.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
    KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted