What's this sterling plate for?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by smallaxe, Apr 12, 2020.

1. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

I have a lone, monogrammed plate passed down in my wife's family from a distant aunt (it bears her monogram). I'm pretty sure it was not part of a set because we have her other silver, and there is nothing else like this. It bears the mark on the back for the Meriden Britannia Co. (bird with M above it) and is marked Sterling. It only measures 5.5 inches in diameter. It has to date from somewhere in the range 1891-1944. What is this kind of plate called, and what was its likely purpose?
    Scan-01s.jpg
    It looks a little like it's bent, but it's not. It's much easier scan things than to photograph, and the light/shadow is an artifact from scanning.

Figtree3 and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Looks like it might be an under plate for something else. Do you have any small sterling bowls or compotes from the same maker?

It's not a wine bottle coaster, they usually had sides, or porcelain centers.

@Bakersgma will be along later.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    i need help, Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

Figtree3 and i need help like this.
  4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

It's about the right size for a bread and butter plate.

5. smallaxe

6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Visiting cards?

smallaxe, Figtree3 and Bakersgma like this.
  7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That was going to be my first suggestion too, Bronwen. That size and fancy monogram do not seem to me to be an individual place piece for the table.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    Bronwen, smallaxe and Figtree3 like this.
  8. lizjewel

lizjewel Well-Known Member

@Bronwen. I am with you, Visiting cards receptor plate was my immediate choice. Placed on a hallway table, with the initials on it marking for whom a visitor had left a card. The monogram would have been important in a multi-household with frequent visitors for several occupants.

Bronwen likes this.
  9. smallaxe

I appreciate the answers. Thank you! It wouldn't have occurred to me, but when you all mentioned calling cards, that seemed to instantly make a lot of sense. Searching on that, I can see others that are similar, often called "Calling Card Dish" or "Calling Card Tray". Here's an example (although a much more famous maker, and a little larger).

Bakersgma and Bronwen like this.
  10. lizjewel

;) @smallaxe: Absolutely. The Calling Card Tray of yore should be thought of the predecessor to voice mail. Of course only elegant homes had elegant visitors who left elegant calling cards. Not so elegant homes wouldn't have known how to recognize a calling card tray as their needs for it were limited by lack of elegant visitors as well as, quite often, inability to read.

11. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

While it could certainly be used for a card tray, or any other purpose desired, it was more likely sold as a bread & butter plate (have seen numerous monogrammed sets).

From a 1917 retailer's catalog:

312202013159.jpg

3122020131536.jpg

From a 1916 Wallace sterling catalog, showing the size range from 5" to 7":

3122020131627.jpg

3122020131559.jpg

Card tray from the same catalog, 6":

3122020131648.jpg

~Cheryl

Bronwen likes this.
  12. clutteredcloset49

@DragonflyWink
    Cheryl
    What is this one listed as?
    The reason I thought it was an underplate is because of the sharp inner edge, to keep something in place.
    upload_2020-4-12_10-31-41.png upload_2020-4-12_10-32-21.png OP's

Bronwen likes this.
  13. DragonflyWink

It's a bread & butter plate, the first on the list - there's little reason to monogram an underplate since it would be covered by the other piece...

~Cheryl

Bronwen and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  14. lizjewel

Stands to reason that such a size plate was intended for more than one purpose. When we think about it, limiting it to a Card Collector Plate only would seriously limit sales. More people definitely eat bread and butter than have visitors expecting a special plate to drop off their calling cards.
    Incidentally, wouldn't a buttered toast also cover the inscription--nev'a mind...

Bronwen likes this.
  15. DragonflyWink

The monogram would be quite visible on the set table before the food was served...

~Cheryl

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  16. clutteredcloset49

That's just too reasonable! :mad:;)

DragonflyWink likes this.
  17. Barbara W. Preston

Barbara W. Preston Active Member

Could it also be used as the underplate for a pitcher (silver or crystal) of ice water to catch the moisture from the sweating. That is how I use mine, and some times at a serve yourself luncheon, I even use a napkin or round tatted edge doily in the center of the underplate to soak up the moisture.

18. Chandler In Las Vegas

Chandler In Las Vegas Active Member

Many a monogrammed pipkin has a monogrammed under plate. Many a monogrammed round sauce boat or mayonnaise bowl has a monogrammed round under plate. Many sets of bread plates are broken up when heirs divide them. Many bottle/pitcher coasters are all silver. Bottom line: use it as you like and enjoy it. It is a PLATE. But whatever you do, do not run a knife over it. On the other hand, beaded rim silver is ubiquitous. See if you can find a Meridian catalogue and start the search for a matching something to put on top of it. My 2 cents.

Draft saved Draft deleted