What's The Correct Name

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Josh Drummer, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Josh Drummer

Josh Drummer Member

What exactly is this thing called and what do you think it's worth? I'm helping my grandmother start up a flea market beside her church. A friend of hers gave her a few truck loads of random stuff, mostly from the 50s and 60s. None of them realize how many valuable things they have and Ray Charles could see the price stickers are ridiculously cheap. So I'm doing a little Ebaying to help them out and I have a hard time finding information on some things. She said it's to set a pot on to cool down. I couldn't find one online that only extended once. They either had two or just didn't extend. 20180721_171949.jpg 20180721_172004.jpg

2. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

It's a silver plated hot plate. Meant to go on the table to put hot dishes on, so as not to burn the table.

1950s and after. Very popular in the 1970s.

Christmasjoy, Kronos and i need help like this.
  4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I'm surprised at the asking price in Kronos' example.

At a garage sale you'd be lucky to get $5 here.

5. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Hi, Josh. I'd call it a silver plated expandable trivet.

Figtree3, Aquitaine, judy and 2 others like this.
  6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

If even that! My friend who has a booth swears silver plate doesnt move in the least,not even if its pretty,because who wants to polish silver plate ? Plus none of the younger people entertain like our parents did,so they dont need the accoutrements .

clutteredcloset49 and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted