What's New Pussycat? - Blended Glaze Pottery Cat - Looking for ID

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dgbjwc, Jul 13, 2015.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello everyone! I recently acquired this cat figurine but haven't been able to ID him. He stands about 5 1/4" tall. He doesn't eat much so I may keep him. Has the look and feel of Haeger (except maybe for the blended glaze) but I couldn't turn him up. Still any help with IDing him would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    Don

DSC03772.JPG IMG_20150713_105632239.jpg DSC03771.JPG IMG_20150713_105645137.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Looks like the same company that made TV lamps.............

dgbjwc likes this.
  3. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

I don't know him, but I've seen him before. Doesn't he look as if he is watching at a mouse hole!?

KingofThings likes this.
  4. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Yes, he does, doesn't he! Should mention that KingofThings post made me think of Cliftwood/Morton. Checked my Morton book but couldn't turn him up.
    Don

KingofThings likes this.
  5. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

:)

dgbjwc likes this.
  6. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Mortons aren't ceramic. They're like a white, solid, chalky body with a thick glossy covering of some sort. More like Bosson's heads with a shiny hard coating than ceramic.

I like Mortons. I used to do well with them but they damaged very easily...just like Bosson's.

KingofThings likes this.
  7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

He appears to be in a pose very similar to Royal Doulton's Flambe Cat.

I think what you have is a mold that was decorated by a hobbiest and not an item that was produced for the retail market. Only my opinion.

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking. The base is glazed, often a dead giveaway. Still, he doesn't need his box changed much and won't shed on your new black pants, so I'd keep him around.

Happy! and Bakersgma like this.
  9. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

This is the only one I could find. It appears other people are stumped too.
    Frankoma Style Pottery Sitting Cat Figurine Brown and Green
    I think it's exactly like yours, but the pics are from different angles, so I'm not positive. The measurements are close enough.

Does your cat have the belt sanded bottom too? That's a good clue.

I was thinking it has a Gonder-ish look, but can't find one like this on the Gonder collector site.

10. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hi lauragarnet - the base on mine is nearly identical to the one in the link you listed above down to the flat glazed chip on the edge.
    Don

Draft saved Draft deleted