What would you call this type of spoon?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by J Dagger, Dec 18, 2023.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

An antique apostle style spoon in form but with the head of a person that isn’t an apostle. So like the spoon in the photo but with a head (no body) and without the flat top. I don’t know if this “type” has a specific name. Figural is the descriptor that comes to mind but hoping there’s a better way to describe it? Not mine, no photo at moment C5CB1225-6BD7-448C-B42F-006560B21C52.jpeg

kyratango likes this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

maidenhead spoon?

that's it's real name ??

they should call it something else....:jawdrop:

Frank and J Dagger like this.
  4. J Dagger

Thanks! Yes, I do think it’s a version of a maiden head type spoon. I’d highly doubt it’s 15th or 16th century, likely 19th. It’s not British though. It carries an 84 mark but no Russian hallmarks. Possibly a country in the Russian sphere borrowing 84? I wouldn’t think it’s Persian. I wonder if it could be a French Silverplate mark? It has another mark I can’t make out unfortunately. I have some highly cropped photos now to give a peek.

Screenshot is an example of a French 84 Silverplate mark.

E562A611-D8B1-4559-BA3C-7E5675001AC2.jpeg 7283862F-8E0D-4D69-87B3-7DBA86885CB0.jpeg 15C12069-5021-43C5-9003-C6702A3FC4D1.jpeg

kyratango likes this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

From your picture, I think it might be an apostle spoon. Same idea, just different subject. That disc may be a halo, and, if that's an ox, it might indicate St. Luke.

J Dagger, komokwa, Bakersgma and 2 others like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I missed the ox, but you're right, likely St. Luke. In which case it could be an evangelist spoon.

J Dagger, kyratango, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  7. J Dagger

Apologies, the photo supplied in my initial post isn’t the spoon in question. I was using that as an example of the form of the spoon in question. I didn’t do a very good job of explaining that. The spoon in question I listed a couple closeup photos of later in the thread.

moreotherstuff and komokwa like this.
  8. J Dagger

That spoon in my initial post isn’t the one I was asking about. I was just using it as an example of the general form of the spoon I was asking about. I did a poor job of making that known however. The photos I posted further down the thread are of the spoon I was seeking information about. :)

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

:p:p

J Dagger likes this.
  10. Any Jewelry

So you were asking about a spoon that isn't in any way related to an apostle spoon, but showed an apostle/evangelist spoon anyway?:confused::hilarious:

Is this beautiful lady(?) the finial of your spoon?

upload_2023-12-21_13-26-43.jpeg

Is the photo of the marks yours? Could we see the entire spoon please?:)

komokwa likes this.
  11. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Who would think that something so simple as a spoon could be so complicated.

Any Jewelry, komokwa and J Dagger like this.
  12. J Dagger

That is correct. I explained as much but not quite clearly enough for anyone reading my post quickly.

The lady is on the spoon that at the time of posting wasn’t mine but now is mine. However I don’t have her in hand yet. The mark is on the spoon I purchased. I’ll get some full photos asap.

13. J Dagger

Leave it to me. ;p

14. Any Jewelry

Or slowly.;)

Hope to see more of the lady when she has graced your home with her lovely presence.

J Dagger likes this.
  15. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It's certainly true that I, at least, pay more attention to the pictures than the text.

J Dagger and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

I always assume that the first picture is of the item in question. Wrong assumption, clearly.:playful:

J Dagger and moreotherstuff like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted