What would you call this type of chair?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Rob Langdon, May 20, 2021.

1. Rob Langdon

Rob Langdon Well-Known Member

chair.jpg I got two of them out of an old barn and would like to restore them. I would love to find another to match, but not sure what to call it. Any thoughts about its age?

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2021
  2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

3. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

What Judy said. The splat in the center is a bit unusual.

Rob Langdon, James Conrad and judy like this.
  4. Rob Langdon

Thanks .. It has been painted, but they are quite old. I know from their history they are at least 100 years old. The other one was painted orange .. here is a photo of that one.

Attached Files:

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Looks like a good restoration project to me. I'll be interested in what wood lies below the orange. Please post the result.

Rob Langdon likes this.
  6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Bow back windsor kitchen chair. Splat is unusual and will make it very difficult to find any more. More typical would be all spindles in the back.

7. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

100 years old is not THAT old in the furniture world, you know. Formally, this windsor chair is a side chair, though kitchen chair is what they call them (they are functional, sturdy, and not especially decorative or comfortable). It's a workhorse and will last you a lifetime. They were not meant to be painted (only pine was). Usually they are made from fruit or local woods, could you scrap the underside a bit and tell?

Fid, Rob Langdon and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  8. Rob Langdon

Anything older than I am is OLD .. :happy:

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted