Featured What type of chair is this?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by J Dagger, Dec 11, 2022.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Saw it for sale locally. Haven’t seen one quite like it. I like it, not that I have room for another chair. This is the only photo. 12915430-49E2-4AA1-95D7-461792AB68A3.jpeg

2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

It looks like it folds.

Figtree3, kyratango and J Dagger like this.
  3. J Dagger

As soon as I saw the side supports I thought the same thing. I’m not sure the rest of the construction would support that theory though. The leaf hides the spot that would be telling. I’m not sure why else the supports (rather than arms) are like that though if not? That’s the main reason I’m asking about it. Seller didn’t mention folding which you’d think they would if it did. Unless it does and they don’t realize it.

Figtree3 and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  4. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

It's missing the lower front stretcher bar too. There is no hole. I was thinking it folded up so it could be hung on a wall out of the way. The seller might not know, because the folding piece is jammed. You're right, we need him to move his leaf.

J Dagger and Figtree3 like this.
  5. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

They almost look like they were added. Maybe to repair a wobbly chair?
    Mikey

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I see two braces....no fold..

J Dagger and Aquitaine like this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I seriously question whether it actually folds, but not actually sure......tagging @Ghopper1924.....lets put another eye or two on it!!!

EDIT: Blow up the image.....do those two braces look HAND CARVED???? I lightened and enlarged it.........
    12915430-49E2-4AA1-95D7-461792AB68A3-gigapixel-low_res-scale-2_00x.jpg

Last edited: Dec 11, 2022
    J Dagger, KikoBlueEyes and komokwa like this.
  8. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Chair is turned on a lathe, not hand carved. And not a folding chair, though similar in style to some of the folding chairs made at the time. Would say primarily Eastlake style, with other influences thrown in. Turn of century date, probably ten or twenty years either side. Cloth seat may not be original, maybe caned to start.

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Don't think the upholstery is original but not incongruous.

Debora

J Dagger likes this.
  10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It has an odd look because of the mix of styles. But attractive!

J Dagger likes this.
  11. Neece

Neece Active Member

I agree there is noting about the style that matches the rest of the chair.

J Dagger and Figtree3 like this.
  12. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@Jeff Drum, Actually, I was ONLY REFERRING to the two side BRACES being possibly hand carved, not the whole chair............ it's such an interesting piece!!!!

J Dagger likes this.
  13. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Think aesthetic style. Circa 1890. Somewhat related to a Thebes chair. Likely English. Looks like something that Liberty and Co. would have sold.

14. J Dagger

I zoomed in on them and it does look like pretty primitive formation. Unless it’s just glares playing tricks. I see it too though.

15. J Dagger

Thanks for the replies everyone. Nice to get some information on this interesting chair. Someone must have dropped them a line and told them it was nicer than their price. They originally listed it for $20 and it’s now priced at $45. Of course now it may not sell and at $20 it surely would have. Eventually someone should take it at $45 though. I probably would if I needed an interesting chair.

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  16. Cherry Tree Depot

Cherry Tree Depot New Member

looks like a vintage and foldable chair.

17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

we've already discounted the folding ability....

Draft saved Draft deleted