what to do with these guys ...

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by CheersDears, Sep 8, 2019.

1. CheersDears

CheersDears Well-Known Member

These spelters sat on a fireplace at the old house but have languished gathering dust these past 19 years. They are a puzzle. Neither is complete. The horses' tails aren't modelled, one is missing a hoof and one has a really ugly * But they are quite impressive -- about 43cm tall and 35 across the base, fierce and dynamic. They are also very heavy. Question is, should I tamper, make the horse a hoof, plug up the *, maybe give them tails and then a coat of some sort? Or should I leave them well alone and try to flog them on eBay as ??? I don't know. I've found both, complete, on Google and don't understand why these are not finished. Ideas and suggestions welcome, thanks. P1100745.jpg P1100746.jpg P1100747.jpg

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Comments should be interesting!! Personally, I think I'd try to sell them as they are......but, are you artistic? Do you have a lot invested in them?? Have you seen others on line in similar size/condition?? You've had 19 years of thinking about it......I'd probably give it a try selling the way they are!!!!

kyratango, judy, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

My guess would be incomplete castings and lack of proper quality control.

I would garage sale them or donate them. I've had one before (different theme, lacking a foot) that I garage saled for ten bucks. Was happy to get that.

sabre123, scoutshouse and Aquitaine like this.
  4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

realistically styled beneath the tail too..

sabre123 and scoutshouse like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I think they're supposed to be Gauls.

Christmasjoy and scoutshouse like this.
  6. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Not more interesting than the OP... :)

Really, don't eff with them at all!

But IRL: I don't know what these are made of... this looks like some kind of paint over resin? I edited out the * :)

Screenshot 2019-09-08 20.17.07.png

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    antidiem, Any Jewelry and sabre123 like this.
  7. scoutshouse

You're welcome!! :woot:

antidiem likes this.
  8. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Some artistic liberties have been taken, in terms of the scale of the rider to the horse.

9. CheersDears

Nope, not resin. They are spelter metal figures and are nicer than they appear in the photos. I have found them on Google -- tails and hoof complete but missing weapons. I think I will not tamper, though I have other repaired spelters around the place. Arms invariably snap off.

10. scoutshouse

Maybe the tails (as you mentioned, not modeled) are some kind of restoration?

The modeling on the rest is beautiful, Ditto patina. So no cosmetic work necessary, or advisable.

But that tail stands out.

11. scoutshouse

Culturally, I don't know where they derive from. There are peeps here who can help with that (interested to learn).

That should be the first line of reason before restoration, I think :)

12. CheersDears

Strewth, these people who repair spelters, 'ey! scoutshouse, I believe you are right and the original tails are no more. That's quite embarrassing. I have lived with these two for decades, but such is the repair and blending of finish that I've been completely fooled -- and so has everyone else I've discussed them with. They still present nicely ... hmmm.

13. scoutshouse

Who cares? I don't!

Repairs on antiques can be an indication of value. Could be sentimental OR historic value.

On porcelain:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We don't really know about your pieces just yet!

14. scoutshouse

Let's see your comps?

kyratango likes this.
  15. CheersDears

I'm too busy eating humble pie for comps. Also listing some Wahliss figures on eBay. They are well broken. Even I can see the repairs! Blinking eBay is only allowing eight pics, though ...

antidiem and scoutshouse like this.
  16. CheersDears

17. scoutshouse

I'm a generalist, and look at the physical characteristics of things. I have no real idea what "Gaul" means, though I can generally figure it out.

You'd be helping me/us with info from another source, if you have one.

I have no clue how old these things are.

Lucille.b and Christmasjoy like this.
  18. CheersDears

983e9704-8e66-4878-9f30-236af892ef34.jpg That last pic is described as 19th C. A Google images of "Spelter Warrior on Horseback" produces quite a few, including Catawiki and this guy, "A spelter statue of a warrior with spear riding horse - Paris, France - ca. 1900 Winning bid: $127" It has a wonderful tail. They both do.

kyratango likes this.
  19. scoutshouse

Ebay...
    Theodore Doriot
    the artist

A pair of large and striking spelter Medieval Warrior Horsemen by French sculptor Theodore Doriot. They have been mounted onto ebonized wooden bases. Approx height excluding wooden base is 17" Very dramatic & stylish masculine addition to a gentleman's study or man cave. Collection only from Hertford (SG14 2ER)

[​IMG]

20. CheersDears

Thanks. Amazing that you found the name of the sculptor. I'd always assumed they were UK ...